Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Sound

SushiKing
    No Sound
    Last night, I connected my macbook to my stereo system through the headphone jack in order to get better sound, but as soon as i disconnected the wire that connected my laptop to my stereo, sound no longer came out of my laptop. Still, if i reconnect the wire through the headphone jack of my laptop, I get sound through my stereo speakers. I thought this problem would simply resolve itself if I restarted my laptop which is what I did. I got the bootup sound that mac makes when it first loads, but once again, there is no sound when I try to play my music. I also noticed that there is a red light in my headphone jack. I'm not quite sure what it means. I also went to the help in my system preferences. It said if I wanted to listen to my music through my internal speakers, I would have to goto system preferences > sound > output and then select "built-in audio", but to my surprise the only option in my output tab is "line out". Please someone help me out. I want my internal speaker sound back! neye:

The red light means that the digital aspect of the socket is turned on. If you use boot camp to run windows you will find that this permantly on (its a bug they are working on.) It is possible I guess that you have turned the digital output sound on by mistake (so the MBP thinks your outputting sound to an external device.) As a result the speakers are turned off. Turn off the digital output and the speakers should kick back in.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
    I had the exact problem on my Powerbook G4 and the only way I could get it fixed was by sending it back to Apple (took about 3 days to get it back). I tried the Genius bar first of all and they tried rebooting OSX from a firewire drive to see if it was a hardware and software fault. But by what your telling me, your MBP has the same fault as my Powerbook. I even happened the same way by connecting speakers from the headphone jack.
    Man Fears Time but Time Fears the Pyramids

MACDRIVE
    Aren't you suppose to use line out for your stereo and the headphone jack for headphones?

Specs:
    Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
    I am having the same problem with the audio from my MacBook Pro. I get the red light too. How do you turn off digital output?

Harryc
    System preferences, sound, output. For the stuck sound problem, insert and remove the jack several times in the headphone jack. It is a known problem that a micro-switch inside may get stuck.

Specs:
    Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryc
    System preferences, sound, output. For the stuck sound problem, insert and remove the jack several times in the headphone jack. It is a known problem that a micro-switch inside may get stuck.
    There is no digital output option in that pane of the sys pref on my MBP. Am I missing something?

catchmeifucan24
    N audio and crazy red light
    I have been having the very same problem the others with no audio through the speakers and the crazy red light. I spent over an hour on the phone with apple today trying to fix it, and in the end they just told me to send it in. If anyone has any ideas im open becuase i really don't want to have to do that.

justinperkins
    I'm experiencing the exact same problem on my MacBook Pro. Headphone plugged in works fine but without it I get the redlight and no sound options (line out).

Plugging/unplugging a headphone a bunch of times didn't help, I guess I'll keep trying...

catchmeifucan24
    Could really use some help with this if anyone has any ideas... I don't want to have to send it in if I can help it.

Specs:
    stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
    perhaps resetting hte pram will help?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Specs:
    Mine just magically solved itself...

What does resetting the PRAM do?

I want to do it anyways

catchmeifucan24
    wow, mine is magic too. An hour ago it was still messed up, and now it's fixed. Weird. I was just about to send it in tomorrow to.

I wish I knew what happened though..

catchmeifucan24
    I posted the solution in a new thread...

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by catchmeifucan24
    I posted the solution in a new thread...
    If the solution is pertinent to this thread.... then WHY start a new thread and put the solution there? Makes no sense.

For those interested, here is his suggestion:

Quote Originally Posted by catchmeifucan24
    I noticed there were a number of people who were having problems with the digital audio being stuck on which didn't allow the main computer speakers to work.

I figured out how to fix this, or, it at least worked for me.

first, plug in a USB device (iPod, hard drive, etc..) (I used an iPod)
    Next plug headphones into the headphone slot, then uplug them. This should turn off the optical light.

Like i said this did work for me, I am making no promises but I had tried everything, and this did it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Thread Information