New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

G5 PowerBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

I was thinking of getting the G5 Dual 2.0 Ghz machine in July 04...and I heard that by then Apple might have Dual 2.5GHz desktops...I would really like to get a laptop but I want the power of the G5...DO you think they will have a G5 powerbook by July? (or possibly ibook)
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Chances are incredibly slim to none that there will be a G5 powerbook even in 2004
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

There will be no G5 powerbook in 2004, I normally don't stand firmly like this, but I can say there will be no chance of one. They didn't jump to G4s in Laptops right away when the G4 was developed. They wont do it now, and now there are even more barriers.. like heat.. power... alota things. I just do not believe it to be possible.

let alone if they did release one, it would have a few bugs that wouldnt be optimal.
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Just wanted to add on thing......Iff possible I would like to have a mobile computer.....On the poll it lists some of the things I would like to br doing with this computer......
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of

The G4 isn't a weak processor. So don't shy from it because its not a G5, I really did not notice a difference between the 1.6 and 1.8Ghz G5s and the 1.24Ghz G4s, the G5 chip doesn't really show its stuff until 2.0Dual Ghz.

There are also alot of other things like RAM and Cache that will make your computer seem faster.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

there also is not enough software that is optimized for the G5 to actually be effective yet
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

sKaD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram

http://macminute.com/2003/12/22/g5

Quote:
Analyst expects speed-bumped G5s next month
December 22, 2003 - 17:50 EST IBM is ready to deliver a new version of its PowerPC processor -- at speeds of 2.4 to 2.6GHz -- to Apple by the end of this year, in time for a revision to the Power Mac G5 line, according to Peter Glaskowsky, analyst with Instat/MDR and editor-in-chief of the Microprocessor Report. "The main improvement to the PowerPC chip, known internally at IBM as the PowerPC 970fx, will be a reduction of the features on the chip itself, from sizes of 130 nanometers to 90 nanometers. Shrinking the features on the chip allows it to consume less power even as it speeds up, making it easier to cool and easier to use." Glaskowsky also says that "there are no technical hurdles to producing a Powerbook G5. It could easily appear in January."
sKaD
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

January of 2005.
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKaD
Analyst expects speed-bumped G5s next month
December 22, 2003
No, no, that would be this january. As in, the one we're in now.
If it was 2005, we would see at the very least "next January".
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ready 2 Switch | TiBook submersed in water: Can I put the hardrive in a Powerbook G3? »