New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - I got my MBP! Some quick questions.....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iRizzo

Hey guys! I wanna start off by thanking everyone for all the help I have received in preparation for investing in my new MBP. Well today I drove to my local Apple Store(Biltmore District, Phoenix, AZ) and asked if they had the latest edition of the MBP. They did so I made the purchase! I also purchased the AppleCare and a wireless mouse.

Ok so on to my question: I set up everything and the first box that pops up says there are 14 updates available for my computer. Do I need to install them all right now? Also, the guy at the Apple store said to charge the battery full, then watch a dvd or something to let the battery drain completely. Is this a good "break in" procedure to follow or can I begin using it right away? I am also a "switcher" from PC to Macs. I have about 1000 songs in iTunes on my PC. How do I transfer all those songs onto my MBP? Is there an easier/quicker way than burning them all to cd's and importing them again onto my MBP? Well that's all for now. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

1. Install the Security and Mac OS X 10.4.x updates ASAP. (And maybe that QuickTime security update, too.) They address some vulnerabilities that have been exposed in OS X over the last couple of months.

2. Yes, calibrate the battery. More info here:
http://www.apple.com/batteries/

3. If you have a network (or even a network cable, or if your PC has a wireless card) you can move your music and other files over to the Mac that way. More info here:
http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/migrate/

Finally, more info on the Mac and Switching:
http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/
http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/
QUOTE Thanks
iRizzo

Do I need to do anything with the "Macbook Pro Mac OS X Install Disc 1?"
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

nothing at all, your book comes with all that installed, its just in case somethign happens to your computer and you need to reboot.
QUOTE Thanks
iRizzo

Ok cool thanks. But what about the break in procedure? My battery is now fully charged. Do I need to put in a movie and let it completely drain? It says in the manual not to calibrate for at least 2 hours after the battery has been fully charged. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

Congrats with your purchase

Did you manage to get the Student Discount in-store in the end?
QUOTE Thanks
iRizzo

Yes I did. All that is required is a student id. Thanks for you help!
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRizzo
Yes I did. All that is required is a student id. Thanks for you help!
Cool
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Black Macbook rip off | front row + remote w/ ibook? »