New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - glossy screen?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steve zissou

what is "glossy" about the screen? and what would you rather have, black or white regardless of price?
QUOTE Thanks Received Warning
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

The screen reflects a lot more light now. Take a look at Sony's new laptops and you'll see what they mean. I guess it's better for watching DVDs and viewing pictures, but I don't like the upped reflectiveness.

I'd rather have a black MacBook, but not the black that unfortunately came out. The black of the 5G iPod, the glossy black.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I saw the macbooks last night at the apple store and honestly, I cant stand the glossy screens. If I were to buy a macbook ide go for the black, like surfwax said a glossy black like the ipod would be nice, but I dont mind the mute black at all.
QUOTE Thanks
TS1AWD

TS1AWD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Aluminum, 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRockTuba
If I were to buy a macbook ide go for the black, like surfwax said a glossy black like the ipod would be nice, but I dont mind the mute black at all.
I am pretty sure Apple knew that if they went with a glossy black Macbook, it would scratch up like crazy just as the iPods did. This being the reason why they wen't with a flat finish.
QUOTE Thanks
steve zissou

yeah, i love the way my 5th gen has the glassy coating around it....blew me away when i opened the box. but, the easily scratchable coating on a labtop just wouldnt do. does the black on the macbook look good? on the website it looks, well, out of place. id have to see them before i decide, but i think id go with the original white to say i have an apple and have it tell all those windows users to suck it :]. but the glowing white apple on the cover of a black macbook sounds pretty cool
QUOTE Thanks
jonathanriley

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but i thought it might just be worth recording that i held off getting a new laptop to see if the new macbooks would have a matte screen option. If there were to have been such an option, i would have bought a matte screen macbook without a question. As it is, i went and bought a windoze laptop; i just can't stand those glossy screens, and was so disappointed that apple didn't give us an option at the macbook level as they do at the macbook pro level. I notice that many posters at this forum seem to like the glossy screen, but i can't find a single person in life who will have a kind word for them.

Come on Apple, give us a choice; why should you make matte screen peeps have to go and buy windows junk?
QUOTE Thanks
jonutarr

jonutarr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook super

i agree mate
the uneven brightness is bad enough and the glossy crap

apple hardware has really sucked this yeear
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I personally enjoy the glossy screen. I have no problems with uneven brightness.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
heywire

heywire is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83GHz

I too prefer a glossy screen... I'd be surprised if all of the manufacturers don't start phasing out the matte screens...
QUOTE Thanks
Dark

Dark is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black macbook, Black 5G 60gig IPOD

I love the glossy screen, the picture looks much more vibrant then the non-glossy screens.
I also like the flat black look and although it shows prints its not as likely to scratch; now that I think about it my black 5g ipod shows prints ALOT easier then my macbook.

Black MacBook
Intel C2D
2gig DDR2-667
100gig 7200rpm HDD

QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

brianj08 will become famous soon enough

the glossy screen is far superior than the matte screen, every color is much more vibrant, and also no glare and the screen is a heck of a lot brighter
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Dude

Mac Dude will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz/1GB/80GB Macbook Core 2 Duo

Here's to reviving an old thread. Anyone buy a matte anti-glare screen protector? I like the glossy screen but sometimes it has too much glare and reflection.
QUOTE Thanks
uber_g

uber_g is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83 C2D.1gb Ram

i like the glossy screen, it sorta makes colors "Pop"

QUOTE Thanks
DRIAFS

DRIAFS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz 2GB Ram

I have a gloss screen on my desk top where I can controll the lighting and I like it alot but went with a matt screen on my mpb and glad I did
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

I like the glossy too, never really had a problem with glare or reflections to be honest.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« stuttering sound output | RAM voids applecare/warranty? »