Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glossy screen?

steve zissou
    glossy screen?
    what is "glossy" about the screen? and what would you rather have, black or white regardless of price?

Fayetteville, AR
    15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs
    The screen reflects a lot more light now. Take a look at Sony's new laptops and you'll see what they mean. I guess it's better for watching DVDs and viewing pictures, but I don't like the upped reflectiveness.

I'd rather have a black MacBook, but not the black that unfortunately came out. The black of the 5G iPod, the glossy black.
    I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
    They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
    I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.

Oklahoma City, OK
    17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
    I saw the macbooks last night at the apple store and honestly, I cant stand the glossy screens. If I were to buy a macbook ide go for the black, like surfwax said a glossy black like the ipod would be nice, but I dont mind the mute black at all.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
    iMac Aluminum, 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkRockTuba
    If I were to buy a macbook ide go for the black, like surfwax said a glossy black like the ipod would be nice, but I dont mind the mute black at all.
    I am pretty sure Apple knew that if they went with a glossy black Macbook, it would scratch up like crazy just as the iPods did. This being the reason why they wen't with a flat finish.

steve zissou
    yeah, i love the way my 5th gen has the glassy coating around it....blew me away when i opened the box. but, the easily scratchable coating on a labtop just wouldnt do. does the black on the macbook look good? on the website it looks, well, out of place. id have to see them before i decide, but i think id go with the original white to say i have an apple and have it tell all those windows users to suck it :]. but the glowing white apple on the cover of a black macbook sounds pretty cool

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but i thought it might just be worth recording that i held off getting a new laptop to see if the new macbooks would have a matte screen option. If there were to have been such an option, i would have bought a matte screen macbook without a question. As it is, i went and bought a windoze laptop; i just can't stand those glossy screens, and was so disappointed that apple didn't give us an option at the macbook level as they do at the macbook pro level. I notice that many posters at this forum seem to like the glossy screen, but i can't find a single person in life who will have a kind word for them.

Come on Apple, give us a choice; why should you make matte screen peeps have to go and buy windows junk?

Bra - Sydney
    ibook super
    i agree mate
    the uneven brightness is bad enough and the glossy crap

apple hardware has really sucked this yeear

Cleveland, Ohio
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    I personally enjoy the glossy screen. I have no problems with uneven brightness.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Dayton, Ohio
    Macbook 1.83GHz
    I too prefer a glossy screen... I'd be surprised if all of the manufacturers don't start phasing out the matte screens...

Northern, VA
    Black macbook, Black 5G 60gig IPOD
    I love the glossy screen, the picture looks much more vibrant then the non-glossy screens.
    I also like the flat black look and although it shows prints its not as likely to scratch; now that I think about it my black 5g ipod shows prints ALOT easier then my macbook.
    Black MacBook
    Intel C2D
    2gig DDR2-667
    100gig 7200rpm HDD

the glossy screen is far superior than the matte screen, every color is much more vibrant, and also no glare and the screen is a heck of a lot brighter

2.0 GHz/1GB/80GB Macbook Core 2 Duo
    Here's to reviving an old thread. Anyone buy a matte anti-glare screen protector? I like the glossy screen but sometimes it has too much glare and reflection.

Macbook 1.83 C2D.1gb Ram
    i like the glossy screen, it sorta makes colors "Pop"

Sammamish, WA
    Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz 2GB Ram
    I have a gloss screen on my desk top where I can controll the lighting and I like it alot but went with a matt screen on my mpb and glad I did

iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
    I like the glossy too, never really had a problem with glare or reflections to be honest.

Thread Information