05-18-2006, 06:15 AM #1
MBPro 15" 2.0 or the MBPro 15" 2.16?
- Member Since
- May 18, 2006
- New Zealand
Do people think there is big differents in speed between the MBPro 15" 2.0 or the MBPro 15" 2.16?
What I can see on the specs, is that the major different is Processor speed, hard drive size and Video memory 128MB GDDR3 SDRAM (what difference will the video memory make).
I am graphic designer using CS2, the media I develop is mostly raster and vector base graphic design with no video base work at this stage, I am also wanting to use this machine to run windows XP for web development or CS2? (may be quicker)
I looking at getting the MBPro 15" 2.0 with 1.5 gig of ram do you think this will go ok? as I wonting to use this as my primary machine (long term) as at present I working on the Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz dual with 2 gig of ram and as CS3 comes along will uses the MBPro 15" with 23 screen
Looking forward to hear you through
05-18-2006, 07:10 AM #2MJGUKGuest
Well firstly and most importantly, if you are using Pro Apps you need to check if they will run natively on Intel Chips yet. If they don't, then they will soon.....But if this is your job we're talking about then you might not want to wait. So check that out.
That aside, the machine you quoted would be perfectly good enough for what you need! Many people run those kinds of app/tasks on machines a lot less powerful and a MBP with those specs is a 'really' powerful machine.
The difference between 2Ghz and 2.16Ghz is TINY, I'd be amazed if anyone could claim to notice that - So in my view it's just a case of whether you want to pay a premium to be 'At the front of technology'. Not to suggest that 2Ghz Intel Core Duo isn't pretty much at the front of the market either!
So essentially no, I don't think this will make a big difference......The Graphics Card 'might' but it would all depend on what you were doing. Most of all RAM will make a valued difference. But then again 1.5GB of RAM is plenty in my view.
I think that will run perfectly for you!
05-18-2006, 10:55 AM #3
thanks........ but what about the Macbook 2.0
- Member Since
- May 18, 2006
- New Zealand
That is great help it quite hard to work with these machine how they going to work on the ground so to speak, so it was great to hear you views
the other interesting thing is what the speed difference with macbook 2.0 and the Macbook Pro 2.0 and the practialy using the Macbook for graphic design pro apps as you can also use them with 23" screen. But my thinking the Macbook pro is going more relable for business use...... yes/no
05-18-2006, 12:26 PM #4MJGUKGuest
Whilst the new MacBooks are pretty well equipped, the MacBook Pro will be far superior when it comes to Pro Apps due to it's excellent GPU (Graphics) card.
I think especially in the area of Graphical Design, you are better off with the MacBook Pro.....
Good Luck and Enjoy your New Mac
05-18-2006, 01:10 PM #5iRizzoGuest
Hey MJGUK you seem to know a lot about the new Macbook so can you answer this question please: Ok for some reason I thought I heard some rumor that with the release of the new Macbook, the Macbook Pro's latest revision would come out. Is this true? Has there been any change to the Macbook Pro due to the release of the Macbook? I have the money to get my Macbook Pro but I want to wait for the next and/or latest revision to come out. What do you think? Is it safe for me to invest in one right now or should I continue to wait?
05-18-2006, 02:12 PM #6MJGUKGuestOriginally Posted by iRizzo
Well unless you want to wait another number of months for the next revision anyway :p
But the MacBook Pro line was indeed updated the other day, along with the introduction of the MacBook.
There is no longer a 1.83Ghz model, that is now 2Ghz.
So the CPUs got an upgrade along with a few other things like the option of a 'Glossy' instead of Matte finish screen.
They won't be updated again for a good while, I would have thought!
Best of luck with your choice!
05-18-2006, 02:23 PM #7iRizzoGuest
Awesome!! That is exactly what I wanted to hear!! I guess I will start my search. Would you recommend ordering it off the internet or just going to an Apple Store and purchasing one? I am in no big hurry, although I am very excited! I know of 3 Apple stores in my area. How long until they have the newest version of the MBP?
05-18-2006, 02:28 PM #8MJGUKGuestOriginally Posted by iRizzo
But I'd guess a few days, maybe even already.....Although if there were a sudden rush for them it may take a week or so for more stock. As I said though, on that issue I'm just taking a guess.
If you just want a standard, non-custom model and you are not eligible for Education discount or such then I'd suggest you just head down to your local Apple Store (if one is pretty close, that is).
However if you are eligible for discounts and/or want a custom build I'd suggest you order online at the Apple Store.
05-18-2006, 02:49 PM #9iRizzoGuest
Man thanks for all your help. I hope you don't mind me asking a few more questions lol. I was looking on their site at the 2.0GHz and the 2.16GHz models. Are all the upgrades worth the $500? If there is a difference then I will drop the extra cash but if not that will easily pay for the AppleCare and an extra battery. Also, I am eligible for the Student Discount since I currently attend Arizona State University. Does this mean I HAVE to order off the site? I thought if I bring proof that I attend ASU to the Apple store they will honor my discount. I don't plan on buying any of the extra upgrades except for the Glossy screen instead of the Matte screen. Thanks again for all your help.
05-18-2006, 03:26 PM #10MJGUKGuestOriginally Posted by iRizzo
In terms of the Educational Discount, you may be able to recieve this at an Apple Store with proof of identity, I'm really not sure on that one though.
With reference to the Glossy Screen, that seems to be a custom option on the MacBook Pros at the moment, so I'm not sure if they will be shipping them as default. But you can at least try if you wish! Just give your local Apple Store a call and ask them to verify.
Personally I don't really feel that the 2.16Ghz 15" Model is really worth it for a CPU upgrade that you won't even be able to notice and a few other further changes along those lines. Like you said, I think that is money better spent on AppleCare and things like extra batteries! I could really only understand people going above the first model if they wanted the 17" screen, but apart from that I'd stick with the 2Ghz 15".
05-18-2006, 04:07 PM #11iRizzoGuest
Ok thanks for all your help. I'll have to give my local Apple Stores a call and ask them about the Student Discount and when the latest revision will be in stock. Thanks again!
05-19-2006, 03:11 PM #12dthornGuest
I have a 2.0GHz MBP and if you can't afford to get both a 2.16GHz and a memory upgrade, just go with the memory upgrade. It makes a world of difference when running large programs in Rosetta.
Photoshop doesn't run too slowly, perhaps just an extra bounce or two of the icon, but it's worth it to have the other features the MBP offers. (Personally, I refuse to pay the price for dual layer media, so the lack of a DL SuperDrive doesn't particularly bother me. Also, FireWire 800 never really caught the world by storm, so I don't mind that either.)
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Kian90 in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 11Last Post: 11-08-2009, 06:07 PM
By pen2paper in forum Movies and VideoReplies: 6Last Post: 08-14-2009, 07:46 PM
By Macaflan in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 5Last Post: 02-02-2009, 12:30 AM
By scpaver in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 5Last Post: 11-26-2008, 09:01 PM
By jeffwsi in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 4Last Post: 01-27-2008, 12:30 PM