New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Need recommendations for an ibook no greater than $1000

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NewT

Hello all, I am looking into getting an ibook, used or new, and all I have to spend is $1000. I would like a machine that runs OS X very nicely (i.e. its snappy, smooth, etc) and runs applications like office and photoshop. It would be nice if it could play games like Quake 3 and Enemy Territory, however, I do not want it to play today's latest games.

I have looked at some mac web sites and it seems like I can get an ibook that is an 800mhz g4 for around $800, however, it only has 128 megs of ram and a simple cdrom drive. I am leaning towards ebay, because it seems to offer good prices for ibooks. Specifically, I was looking at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4602 . Is this a good value for $900? Its 900mhz g3, 384mg ram, 40 gig, and a combo drive.

I'm really not sure what is good in mac terms. Would I be getting ripped off for $900? Can you show me a better deal? How is that link above?

Also, should I be considering a g4 or will a g3 suffice?

Thank you for your time. Hopefully, you will have another mac user shortly
QUOTE Thanks
lzasitko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewT
Hello all, I am looking into getting an ibook, used or new, and all I have to spend is $1000. I would like a machine that runs OS X very nicely (i.e. its snappy, smooth, etc) and runs applications like office and photoshop. It would be nice if it could play games like Quake 3 and Enemy Territory, however, I do not want it to play today's latest games.

I have looked at some mac web sites and it seems like I can get an ibook that is an 800mhz g4 for around $800, however, it only has 128 megs of ram and a simple cdrom drive. I am leaning towards ebay, because it seems to offer good prices for ibooks. Specifically, I was looking at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4602 . Is this a good value for $900? Its 900mhz g3, 384mg ram, 40 gig, and a combo drive.

I'm really not sure what is good in mac terms. Would I be getting ripped off for $900? Can you show me a better deal? How is that link above?

Also, should I be considering a g4 or will a g3 suffice?

Thank you for your time. Hopefully, you will have another mac user shortly
Price seems decent and would meet your needs pretty well, at least the real apps, I do not have games on mine sodon't know about them. Check warrenties, these are transferable, max out the ram if possible. The super drive would also be nice. I have a clamshell iBook 366mhz with 576meg of ram (I know all the manuals and info say max is 328 or something, but I found the local dealer that was willing to try the 512meg card. I have OSX latest revision and 9.2 installed and it runs great. I have no problems running Photoshop and Office for OSX, Appleworks and Quickbooks so a 900 would be a good deal faster than mine.

Watch ebay as I see these all the time and you might find it cheaper, depends on when or how soon you want it.

Larry Zasitko
QUOTE Thanks
lplplpx3

You might need to jump on this one but I just purchased a BRAND NEW (not refurb or used) 14" G3 800 Ghz, 256 k, 30 gig HD, Combo drive and get this INCLUDES AIRPORT CARD for $920 from http://www.powermax.com/. With 2 day express my total was $973.00 delivered.

Also, for 20 bucks less you get the exact same specs but a 700 Ghz machine...needless to say I dont think they had much left and I too was doing the whole ebay, used, refurb thing for weeks but this was the best deal I found anywhere.
QUOTE Thanks
Hooligan

Are you a student? My brand new ibook G4 was $950 at the student rate. Otherwise, Apple Stores will sell returned and refurbished models at a discount too- many are former window display models (never used). Just a thought....
QUOTE Thanks
lplplpx3

No not a student and consequently, this price even beat Apple refurb...trust me I did my homework.
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

I have a 14" iBook G4 1.42 ghz super drive with 2 years of apple care left! PM me if your interested in buying. Want to get an imac.

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMania55
I have a 14" iBook G4 1.42 ghz super drive with 2 years of apple care left! PM me if your interested in buying. Want to get an imac.
dont be surprised if you dont get that pm, this thread is over 2 years old and the original poster is no longer a member
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

thank you for posting in a two year old thread!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« recessed battery - normal? | World of Warcraft on a MacBook?? »