New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Airport or Extreme for iBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Blonde Guy

I have an iBook (A1054) 800 MHz G4.

I got this computer refurbished from the Apple Store website. I also got Airport Extreme. I plugged in the Airport Extreme, and the computer would not even start. The fan went crazy and nothing else happened.

I removed the Airport extreme, and the computer boots normally. I got a new Airport extreme from Apple, and the exact same thing happened.

Then I got very busy, and left the computer unused for a while. Now I need get another Mac going, and I hope to get this one working. My friend suggested that Apple is wrong to say Airport Extreme works on this system, and I really need an plain old Airport.

Any ideas???
QUOTE Thanks
daz087

daz087 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)

Well, according to this article from Apple's website, your iBook is compatible with the Extreme card... So that shouldn't be an issue. Sorry I can't be of more help, but at least I can eliminate one possibile cause of your issue.

- Z

Check out World of Apple for Apple news, reviews, giveaways, and more!
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Every iBook G4 is either Airport Extreme ready, or has it built-in, depending on which one it is. The two cards and their respective slots are physically so different that it is impossible to put an Extreme card in a plain Airport slot, and vice versa.
Maybe the connector on the board is faulty, get it replaced by Apple. Refurbished Macs have the same warranty like brand new ones.
QUOTE Thanks
edge

I have the iBook G4 800 (probably identical to what you have). It came without an Airport card when bought new, and I added an Airport Extreme card to it. It worked fine with no problem.

Could you take both iBook and card to the Apple store and have them take a look?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adding a Backlite keyboard to a PB 15" G4 1.33ghz | Ram upgrade for MacBook Pro? »