New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Password Protect Subfolders?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

billabong1515

billabong1515 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" iBook G4, 1.33ghz 1gb RAM 40 GB HD. iPod 20gb 4Gen

I'm a teacher and occasionally I allow students to use my iBook to type. However I have future lessons and grades and such that I cannot have them see. I don't know if this is the appropriate forum; but I have faith that one of you will know if this is possible for not to password protect folders??? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

HideOut! is a program that can do this for free.

The only OSX way to do it, that I know of, is to make a disk image that is protected with a password.

Actually, the easiest way to solve this problem is to make a new account (System Preferences-->Accounts) and name it "Student". Set the permission level lower than your's and whenever they want to use your iBook, just switch users. They'll still be able to use the programs, but not open folders on your account. In System Preferences, you could also check "Enable Fast User Switching" and keep it in the Menubar for even faster user switching. You wouldn't even have to log out.

Hope that helps!

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Thad

Thad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano

hideout rocks thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« keyboard switch | iBook Screen »