New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New Mac User - Disappointed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dean

I just bought an iBook G4 on Christmas eve. Being used to Windows, Panther seems a bit unusual and I'm still getting to used to it. The main problems started when I tried installing the downloadable software from Kensington.com to run a wireless mouse. My trackpad stopped working and I couldn't uninstall it. I tried re installing OS X using the re install discs but it still didn't work. Apple phone help was unavailable ( ! ) and I couldn't get on the net because I my happy Mac was imobilised. In desperation, I got into the first aid utility and wiped the whole hard drive to allow me to re install everything again from 'bare metal'. The basic system now works, but I've lost Appleworks and cant get Software Restore to get it running again. Any ideas ?

This is my first time using Macs and I have to admit I'm not very happy. Did they used to be better ?

Dean.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

LOL, wow a nightmare from day one..

here is a hint though, most mouses or external devices really don't need any drivers, because OSX did such a good job of having specific drivers and general drivers like my wired kensington mouse works fine with out a driver so does my printer.. I know you will be less disappointed in your mac if you realize this is nothing like a windows box if you can't figure something out, its probly the easiest option, things on your mac u will soon find out are much easier.

You just made the switch from windows, which in windows terms is like going from windows 3.1 to windows Xp.

Hopefully you will return to your mac with a happier outlook, as for being better, they never were bad in comparison, and they are only getting better.

Was your wireless mouse plugged into your mac the whole time? (that would explain the reason the pad stopped workin..)
QUOTE Thanks
Dean

I cant fully remember if I did have the USB receiver plugged in while installing the software. I'm going to take my iBook back to the dealer tomorrow to get a refund on the mouse and ask if they can re install Appleworks. I'll let you know what happens ( unless I'm struck by a 10 ton piece of space junk ).
QUOTE Thanks
Dean

Its OK now. I got a plug-in mouse with a cable and all ! The software restore kept quitting, then eventually worked and I have Appleworks back again. Its getting better.

Dean.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cellular Options with a Mac Portable (iBook?) | ibook g4 or powerbook?? »