New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

air port - wep 128 hex

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slicpinoy

ok - I have setup my wireless using a linksys wireless router and I set up wireless security 128 hex wep...my mac sees it, and I chose my netowork, it ask me for a password but will not work with the hex code I copied paste but it didnt work, how can I work my wireless with my mac?
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicpinoy
ok - I have setup my wireless using a linksys wireless router and I set up wireless security 128 hex wep...my mac sees it, and I chose my netowork, it ask me for a password but will not work with the hex code I copied paste but it didnt work, how can I work my wireless with my mac?
"2. Hexadecimal password
If you were given a password that uses only the hexadecimal range of characters (which are: abcdef0123456789), put a dollar sign ($) before the password. These passwords are 10 characters long for 40-bit encrypted networks or 26 characters long for 128-bit encrypted networks. In a hexadecimal password, the dollar sign is called the Hex Escape. It notifies the software that the characters that follow it should be treated as a hexadecimal number. Other possible hex escapes are "0x" and "0X" (zero-x, and the "x" may be upper or lower case)."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106424
QUOTE Thanks
slicpinoy

i still can not get wireless on my mac - I can see my network, also does it matter if I am using

128 bit encrypt/ 26 hex and the default transmit key is number 2

I tried to use the dollar signs and ox and nothing, I have also went to the site and tried to read up on it and it gave me no help....I have tried all options that it is providing to me when I chose my network.

WEP
128/40 HEX
128/40 ASCII - did not do anything, since my password was not ascii
leap - no clue what this is
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicpinoy
i still can not get wireless on my mac - I can see my network, also does it matter if I am using

128 bit encrypt/ 26 hex and the default transmit key is number 2

I tried to use the dollar signs and ox and nothing, I have also went to the site and tried to read up on it and it gave me no help....I have tried all options that it is providing to me when I chose my network.

WEP
128/40 HEX
128/40 ASCII - did not do anything, since my password was not ascii
leap - no clue what this is
It's not ox, it's 0x...number zero, not letter ohhh.
QUOTE Thanks
slicpinoy

ahh ok, I have tried that as well, and I am still unable to connect to my wireless....argh I am using a wireless linksys wireless router....why does it ask for a password and not for the hex code key? I still cant connect to my wireless....
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

reset router and set it up again
QUOTE Thanks
slicpinoy

I have tried that....I have reset it several times, basic troubleshooting has been done but I cant seem to connect

this is what I have done:

used the $ 0x infront of the hex code
reset the router
change the transmit key to 1 from 2
re changed the transmit key to 2
copied the hex code to yahoo notepad, then directly connected via ethernet wire and then copy paste, no work and also with the $ and 0x

it is asking for a password...how can I manually enter the hex into the network connections like I did to my windows, and chose the transmit key
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

did you try typing the phrase that generated the key?

QUOTE Thanks
slicpinoy

I figured it out!!! the first HEX needs to be used...not the second even tho I had it transmit the 2nd key...but now I cant get an IP at all....I am connected as per the network congif but I cant surf the internet or get an IP

I have restarted the router and then turned on the mac and still nothing....can it maybe because I am transmitting the 2nd key? cause if I use the 2nd hex for my mac it wont work or connect....only the first hex will, but I cant get online
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

One quick question, are you leaving it at Paraphrase when entering the code or did you click the clicker and change it to 128 Hex?

First is the Default.

Second pic with the selection pane open.

Hope this maybe helps. If it's set wrong it will do exactly what yours is doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1 jpg.jpg (24.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2 jpg.jpg (25.8 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how? | connect automatically when needed? »