New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Core Solo or Duo

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

We news and mac addicts heard about the iBooks' company claiming Apple wants to ship iBooks (or Macbooks) in June. Do you think we will see both core solo, both core duo, or a combination of both? What do you think the prices will be?

Also... I'm on the fence on whether (if it's like the mac mini configuration) whether I should get the core solo or core duo. Money is an issue, and I'd like to get it somewhat soon after it comes out (I'm saving up by mowing lawns, 300 more till 1,000). I browse the internet, play music/dvds, do schoolwork, do web coding, and podcasting. Is a core solo enough to power garageband very well for podcasting? I don't want to limit myself, if you know what I mean... If I want to get a new program or game that requires a lot of power, would the core solo still be okay? I'd load the ram to the max. Finally, what is better to get for leopard, a core solo or core duo. I'd want to get the most out of leopard from a laptop I want to buy this summer.

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Arichards

Arichards is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.

I don't know how much of an advantage a duo would give you at the present time since most applications are not written to make use of two processors. However, I heard Leopard might include some technology for running two operating systems together at the same time. It seems that the duo setup would be well suited for a task like this one. I think if you really hold on to your computers and use them for a long time you might want to "future-proof" yourself a bit by getting a duo. However, a core-solo is basically a re-vamped Pentium M (otherwise called centrino) processor, which is still very fast by my standards.
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

i suppose it would all boil down to price, in the end.

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

All I can say is this: The Core Duo Mac Mini will play 1080p HD video without one skip, The Core Solo will not play 1080p without dropping frames. On other benchmarks all over the net, turning off one core in the Core Duo really hurts performance. Anandtech did a compairson test on the iMac G5 iSight Vs Intel iMac and tested the Intel with both cores and with just one (you can turn off one in System Preferences) and with just one core the G5 was winning in many of the tests.

I would always go for the Core Duo over the Core Solo if I could afford it for what I do on a computer.
QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

If you have the money you might want to just dig out the extra bucks and get the Duo, they will last longer in terms of speed.

It's all good.
QUOTE Thanks
edge

As always with buying a new computer, there are two major factors to take into concideration:

1. Money
2. Useage

As far as the price difference goes, I don't think there's going to be a huge difference. Maybe a few hundred or less (probably less than that). Could be wrong, but since the processors are basically the same type (just a difference of one or two cores), it can't be that huge.

Although, I would suspect that iBooks (MacBook) will only be offered in a single core flavor, while MacBook pro will probably be offered as single core, OR dual core. (I haven't looked into it yet -- maybe someone else here can provide more insight?)

Lastly -- what are you going to do with it? Browse the internet? Play games? Watch HD movies (as brought up above)? If you're using it for office type productivity, programming, and web surfing, there's really no need for a dual core system. But, if you want to play games, work with video editing software, etc, the higher price tag is well worth the preformance gain.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple on screen | Weird.. »