New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

panther on clamshell......

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jonmichael23

Hello, I just bought an iBook 300 Mhz with 64 mb ram, 6 gb hd. I am definately putting in a 512 stick in the empty slot, so that should help performance in os x dramatically. Problem is I only have 50 dollars at the moment (I'm 14) and I won't be able to get the ram for another 2 to 3 weeks. This meaning I will have to live with the 64 built-in ram and virtual memory. I hate OS 9, and I'd rather run os x if it didn't even go faster then a snail. Anyone try to install panther on anything less then 128 mb ram? I know it says at least 128 mb of physical ram on the box, but I've heard of people using jaguar on 64 mb ram and i think its box says the same thing. I have jaguar install discs as well that I could use put I heard panther increases minimizing, maximizing windows. Also, my friend has a 333 Mhz iMac with 288 mb ram. His windows dont look nearly as cool as mine do when he minimizes, maximizes, uses expose ( i have new 17" iMac ) altho they do still look cooler then anything a wintel can do. When I put in the 512 and have 576 mb ram this will be double his, will this help the graphics any? Or is it the actual graphics card (nvidia) that does this? Any help would be appreciated!

Jonathan
QUOTE Thanks
ipmedia

If you've got the 300 MHz Blueberry iBook, the chances are you may have some lack of performance under OSX. OSX is very very graphics dependant, and your iBook has an ATI Rage Mobilty with 4 Megs of V-RAM. You can pump up on RAM, push it to the limits if you're going to install OSX, but don't expect much performance from you graphics chip. 16 Megs is recommended, though it works pretty smoothly on 8 Megs, but 4 is probably just not enough.
QUOTE Thanks
jonmichael23

OS 9 runs good, and I'm buying the ram tomorrow, so I'll be able to install panther in about a week. I figured it was the graphics card that was responsible for minimizing,maximizing,expose, aqua in general. Is there any other graphics card that will work in my 300 Mhz iBook? Any solutions to make this iBook handle panther as well as it can?
QUOTE Thanks
lzasitko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmichael23
OS 9 runs good, and I'm buying the ram tomorrow, so I'll be able to install panther in about a week. I figured it was the graphics card that was responsible for minimizing,maximizing,expose, aqua in general. Is there any other graphics card that will work in my 300 Mhz iBook? Any solutions to make this iBook handle panther as well as it can?
I have a 366 graphite clamshell, 576 meg of ram and am running Panther without any problems at all. I have seen it (panther) running on 12" 900mhz iBook and yes it is faster and smoother than on mine, but mine is pretty decent as is.

The video is on the motherboard and can not be changed as far as I am aware. The only upgrade that I have found was an accelerator that would get any iMac or clamshell up to 500mhz but it casts more than I paid for my ibook. I am watching for a nice clean g4 iBook but for now I have no complaints.

Larry Zasitko
QUOTE Thanks
christophermac

I have a blueberry 300 mhz ibook also... I upgraded it to 288 mg of ram, and everything is working fine with Panther. I did notice it takes a little longer to load than OS 9 did, but I really haven't had any problems at all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connect G4 iBook TV? | Does this happen? »