New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Why?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kreza

Why are apple macs so expensive? Im not moaning, I bought my iBook off Ebay for a good price, but i think that is why PC is so appealing to people. I know im not stupid but people who dont know anything about PC's go straight to Dell and (they are ****e) they offer them the latest stuff (which they buy the cheapest possible parts) and 799 or $1000 and then an apple mac bottom of the range is like $1000 whats up with that?

P.s. never buy a dell (I didn't but my friend did) they solder over your AGP slots so you cannot upgrade your graphics card, they make you buy a new PC to get a better graphics card!!!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Apple's last much longer then any other PC's. The price you pay almost evens out with PC's because of all the upgrades and repairs you will have to do on a pc over the max shelf life of like 4years of them. Many people here have had their macs for 5 years or more and still run great.
QUOTE Thanks
Kreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Apple's last much longer then any other PC's. The price you pay almost evens out with PC's because of all the upgrades and repairs you will have to do on a pc over the max shelf life of like 4years of them. Many people here have had their macs for 5 years or more and still run great.
true, never thought of that, needed points to argue mac over pc against my mates, thx!
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

sKaD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram

Another thing to keep in mind is that Apple's keep their resell value much longer than PC's also.

sKaD
QUOTE Thanks
lzasitko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreza
Why are apple macs so expensive? Im not moaning, I bought my iBook off Ebay for a good price, but i think that is why PC is so appealing to people. I know im not stupid but people who dont know anything about PC's go straight to Dell and (they are ****e) they offer them the latest stuff (which they buy the cheapest possible parts) and 799 or $1000 and then an apple mac bottom of the range is like $1000 whats up with that?

P.s. never buy a dell (I didn't but my friend did) they solder over your AGP slots so you cannot upgrade your graphics card, they make you buy a new PC to get a better graphics card!!!!!!!!!
Don't want to get into a flame war over which is best but I own both pc's and macs. Outside of not going out of date as fast and retaining value I have found that macs do not have some of the memory problems that pc's seem to have. I have an iMac and an Ibook and basically they are on all the time and very seldom do I have to reboot. The iMac has been on and running for several months and never a problem. The PC's that I have and use (a Toshiba Portable with win 98se and two desktops, a Athalon 1800 with win XP Pro and a celeraon 633 with win ME). The portable with win 98se is the most stable of the bunch, my Athalon with XP is a out and out memory hog and does not realease it properly which means that I reboot the stupid thing 2 or 3 times a day, ME seems to be better then XP in memory management and sometimes it will go all day before I have a crash or have to reboot :-) The only reason I have the PC's is in my business I use Autocad and Lightscape rendering, if the programers would get smart and make versions of these for the Mac OSX then I would not need the PC's

True plug and play on the Macs is great, just plug it in and go, not near the hassles as in Windoze....

All in all I have a lot fewer problems with macs.

Larry Zasitko
QUOTE Thanks
ipmedia

There are a few reasons a Mac is more costly then a PC (to begin with, not in the long run!). For one, you get quality in every angle, from graphics card (no no-name or cheap brands with liscenced chips), hard drives, connections (firewire etc), down to the keyboard and mouse. The quality is always top of the line. A cheap PC will have some cheap board, cheap RAM, and so on. Apple's main stand point is to use high quality parts in their systems, wich also ensures compatibilty.
Then you get a supirior OS shipped right along with it. And, you'll find that even most of the newest software is always compatible with older versions of Mac Os (9). This means in the long run, in order to keep up with rapidly developing software world you won't need to upgrade your Mac like you do a PC at least once or twice a year. So in the long run, you get a high end machine, that ends up being cheaper then a PC you buy today, which is however oudated next week and un-compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
Wizard

Macs cost more because a) they are better quality and b) they are pretty and Apple is good at marketing.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I will say more along the lines of research and development costs.
QUOTE Thanks
Xyphus

I would say supply and demand have a lot to do with it too... PCs you can get just about anywhere... You can walk into your local Wal-Mart and pick up software or hardware that will work in just about any generic PC... Hence, the glut causes prices to fall...

Macs on the other hand, you have to buy from a licensed reseller, and you really don't find them on any street corner. (There is not a single one in my area.. The closest is either in Chicago Illinois, or in Indianapolis Indiana...) Other than that, there is only mail order...

So, I am sure that this reflects in increased prices along with other factors...

(not to imply that the quality of the MAC is lacking, just the availability...)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pocket CDs in slot loading CD | CD Won't Eject from Superdrive »