New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Thinking of upgrading my iBook G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hexadec

Hi

I have a 1.2GHz iBook G4 with 256MB RAM and a 30GB hard drive. I'd like to get a new, bigger hard drive and more memory.

Could anyone recommend a hard drive that's good quality but won't cost me an arm and a leg (my limit is $150)?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
chuckalicious

chuckalicious is on a distinguished road

Most brand name drives are perfectly acceptable as a replacement.

You need to consider the follwing:

New drive:

Capacity
Speed (4200, 5200 or 7200rpm)

These choices will affect how much the drive costs but it will also affect a few other things. Namely heat, battery life and noise.

Faster drives require more power, are a tiny bit noisier and will give off a little more heat. Some people who have fitted 5200 or 7200rpm drives have said they have only seen a 10 minute or so drop in battery life, and no heat increase, while others have seen more heat and a greater battery drain. It's all a compromise I guess. A faster drive will speed up the opening of some apps and may improve the performance of some hard drive intensive apps, but will not improve much else

Memory is easy, so I won't go into that
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Check out Other World Computing. They have a nice selection as well as great pricing and service.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I would go with a 60GB 7200RPM drive from newegg.
QUOTE Thanks
hexadec

Thanks for the advice everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
dmetzcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexadec
Hi

I have a 1.2GHz iBook G4 with 256MB RAM and a 30GB hard drive. I'd like to get a new, bigger hard drive and more memory.

Could anyone recommend a hard drive that's good quality but won't cost me an arm and a leg (my limit is $150)?

Thanks in advance.
I just upgraded my iBook's 30GB drive to a 100GB model for under $150. Details are on my site at: http://www.mymacblog.com/index.php/a...ew-hard-drive/
There are also details regarding the guide that I used, the tools I bought, the drive, and where I purchased the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I went for a 80GB 5400rpm drive from Samsung....

Cost me around 110...
QUOTE Thanks
dmetzcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
I went for a 80GB 5400rpm drive from Samsung....

Cost me around 110...
Nice. Good price on that drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah, I got it from a little bitty computer parts supplier in town, and a friend of mine is an apple certified technician who was nice enough to do the install for me.
QUOTE Thanks
dmetzcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Yeah, I got it from a little bitty computer parts supplier in town, and a friend of mine is an apple certified technician who was nice enough to do the install for me.
Nice friend. I'm the geek in my circle of friends, so, unfortunately, there is no one to do this for me. I'm the one they usually call for this garbage. Although, I have told everyone that I'm not doing fixes for Windows machines any longer. It takes too long, and it's a pain. I just point them in the direction of the nearest Apple store now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« XP Questions (networking and drive storage) | Off Brand pc133 for ibook 600 »