New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Radiation or Health Concerns?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ryank2006

I'm using my new powerbook on my lap with a wi-fi connection for several hours a day. Are there any radiation warnings or other health issues I should be worrying about? The last thing I want is for this thing to fry my nuts. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I heard from one person that it is like a cell phone.. same type of radiation.. not the wifi, just the laptop itself.. but Im not sure about it since I havent heard anything else since.. I am using a lapdesk which I definitely reccommend!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

It's an interesting question. I tend to use a piece of marble floor tile as a desk between me and my powerbook.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

And if it does have radiation.. your marble is a whole lot better than my lap desk
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

lol, i wouldn't worry about radiation, you here alot of bad stories, but it really doesnt do much. All that radiation at high doses will do is increase your chances of developing cancer.
Things that are spuing out radiation:
Humans
Anything electrical
The Sun
pretty much everything.

How to increase your chances of gettin cancer:
Sitting on a microwave
Talking on your cell phone 24/7
eating sugar substitutes like aspertain.
hanging around hivoltage items
smoking
drinking
using anything that wears down your immune system or requires your body to exert itself making new cells.

How to lower your chances:
dont smoke
drink 2 or less glasses of wine.
only eat natural things, if it tastes sweet and it doesnt have sugar in it... thats no good.
use a LCD monitor rather than CTR
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I use the marble desk, as a big heat sink.
QUOTE Thanks
ryank2006

It is sort of irrational to worry about it, however, all this stuff is relatively new so no one really knows about the long-term effects(50 years, etc). I'll just choose to believe that it won't harm me and it won't. I just hope that in the future "laptop computer use" isn't added to Graphites' list in the previous post.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Yeah I am of the oppositve mind set.. better safe than sorry
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

actually now that i think of it my left nut has shrunk after excessive use of my powerbook.

just kidding
QUOTE Thanks
ryank2006

Will marble actually prevent radiation from going through? If it does, isn't there still radiation being shot at our face and chest?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

i think what little radiation there is emitted its frequency is so low that it just sorta dies out after short distances. i highly doubt we are talking about radiation you could bounce of a mirror and blind some guy
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank2006
Will marble actually prevent radiation from going through? If it does, isn't there still radiation being shot at our face and chest?
I had some left over marble after doing my floor. The powerbook get very warm in your lap. So the marble tile is just the right side to use as a portable desk.

I had not thought of any radiation, until now. At my age I don't plan to have any children. grand child is enough for me.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Yeah I hadnt thought about radiation either, my powerbook was burning my legs.. and then I read up on the design of the powerbook and how it needed a flat surface, etc etc.. so I decided that since my powerbook ran really hot, that I needed a lapdesk. So I purchased one and I've never been happier.. for so many reasons! Now my PB get's plenty of air, I have a place to set my mouse, my lap isnt so hot.. Plus that much heat on that part of your body, could definitely kill and mangle my umm.. count of little murlyns.. And that doesnt include any type of radiation that we do and do not know about.. I just feel better about it Now I have a bluetooth headset for my cell phone which probably radiates a small bit of radiation, but I know it's a whole lot better than having the cellphone itself right up to my head. So if you are really worried about it.. get a lap desk, get a hunk of marble, a piece of wood, etc and use it. Like I said before.. better safe than sorry!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sound output | ibook vs. powerbook: any suggestions? »