New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Any noise, whining from MBP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Centurion

Hi guys, is anyone experiencing whining sounds from the MBP? Ok, it is not loud but I swear there is a sound there. It is not the fans or the hard drive i am sure...
QUOTE Thanks
DFutrell62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
Hi guys, is anyone experiencing whining sounds from the MBP? Ok, it is not loud but I swear there is a sound there. It is not the fans or the hard drive i am sure...
I don't have the greatest hearing in the world, but mine is virtually silent.
QUOTE Thanks
LastZion

LastZion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS

yeah mine too, seems like we are the lucky ones... or maybe they fixed it on the later shipping units (just got mine on the 13th)
QUOTE Thanks
jcblitz

Mine just started whining today. I've had it for about a week and didn't notice it until I was laying down in bed using it. I've read about it before but at the time I didn't notice the problem. From what I've read, it has something to do with the processor and if you disable dual core, it stops. But search for it yourself, that's just what I remember.
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

Here is some info on the whining.http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...60317134341104
QUOTE Thanks
ScottyD

Thus far, there are two specific noises coming from the MBP. The first one correlates to the CPU/iSight camera and the other to the LCD display. I believe the CPU noise sounds like static or white noise. The sound is intermittent and gets louder and softer. I have this symptom, but it is almost unnoticeable on my machine. I have to put my ear to the keyboard to hear it and when I use the 'mirror' widget it goes away. Also, if you open Photo Booth it goes away as well. The 2nd noise is supposedly a buzz and/or whine. I'm not sure what it sounds like but apparently it gets louder or softer depending on the brightness of your lcd. Some people have a worse situation than others. People are sending back their MBPs, but Apple is just sending out a new unit. I'm not sure if this is going to fix the problem if these other units have the problem as well. I'm going to assess my situation further in the coming months and if need be have my MBP fixed then.

Regards,
Scotty D
QUOTE Thanks
AlienDNA

AlienDNA is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyD
The 2nd noise is supposedly a buzz and/or whine. I'm not sure what it sounds like but apparently it gets louder or softer depending on the brightness of your lcd.
Unfortunately, I can attest to the LCD buzz issue. Mine suffered from it right out of the box and went back for exchange today. You can hear it here. It's actually pretty steady unless the LCD is at full bright or full off. From the questions Apple Care asked me, its pretty obvious that this is a known issue within Apple tech support.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric "No Relation To Julia" Roberts
B.Comm,MCP,MX5,PADI,PDQ,FEB(tm)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
QUOTE Thanks
papaya

papaya is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jram View Post
Could you paste the text of that? I don't have a subscription and it won't let non-subscribers read it...

My BRAND NEW MBP (3 days old) just started doing a buzzing whine that goes away when I tilt it 45 degrees! I took it in, they couldn't get it to make the noise, ran the usual tests, nothing. Came home, 20 minutes into my work it starts up again. My suspicion is that something is just a little loose (under the keyboard area) and when I move it around the buzzing disappears because it gets aligned correctly.

Anyone know about this? Can I just open it up and tighten up or reseat certain parts of the book without voiding warrantee?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« clamshell DC-IN Issue | Help! USB Drive problems »