New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Question on purchasing Macbook.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MarteDVX

Hello, I am new to these forums and not yet a Mac owner. I recently bought a Dell XPS system. Oh my lord, what a load of crap. :mad: The Dell system was so horrible, I didn't mind sending it back with a restocking fee. I have been watching my friend with his Powerbook G4, and I am definately convinced Mac is the way to go. So anyway, I was looking at the new Macbook Pros, but I have a question. We make short films and the sort, and we do a lot of editing, and he uses Final Cut Pro. I was wondering if these programs would work with the Macbook Pro. Programs such as Final Cut Pro, Adobe Photoshop, and the such, I heard they are not universal with Macbook Pro yet. I need to know if buying the Macbook Pro is a wise decision for me, using it mostly for editing and major apps.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarteDVX
Hello, I am new to these forums and not yet a Mac owner. I recently bought a Dell XPS system. Oh my lord, what a load of crap. :mad: The Dell system was so horrible, I didn't mind sending it back with a restocking fee. I have been watching my friend with his Powerbook G4, and I am definately convinced Mac is the way to go. So anyway, I was looking at the new Macbook Pros, but I have a question. We make short films and the sort, and we do a lot of editing, and he uses Final Cut Pro. I was wondering if these programs would work with the Macbook Pro. Programs such as Final Cut Pro, Adobe Photoshop, and the such, I heard they are not universal with Macbook Pro yet. I need to know if buying the Macbook Pro is a wise decision for me, using it mostly for editing and major apps.
If I'm not mistaken, Apple will be releasing universal versions of their pro apps this month, so you should be good as far as Final Cut and other Apple pro apps go. In addition, all of iLife is universal so you should be good with iDVD, iMovie HD, and GarageBand. Photoshop won't be universal until CS3, and under Rosetta, PS CS2 supposedly runs with performance about equivalent to a 1 GHz G4. Not TERRIBLE but not like it's running on a high end computer either. And you need to be more specific for me to give a recommendation about using the MBP for "major apps."
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I think the macbook pro will be fine for you as long as you can wait until 2007 for photoshop.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

I have read a few online reviews of Photoshop CS2 running in the rosetta environment. Has anyone here actually used it and have an opinion on its speed? I too am looking for a portable and would like to get the new laptop since they quit making the 15" G4 model, however need reasonable speed in photoshop. I would not expect it to run as fast as the G5 powermac tower, but dont want 5 minute waits when opening 100mb photos or when performing any routine functions on them either. The possiblity of waiting over a year for adobe software updates would not work and I am against getting the 12 or 17" versions of the G4 powerbook.....

Stopped by an apple store today, and although they have CS2 on the old machines they refused to put it on the powerbook with the intel processors. That kind of had me worried that they feel it will not sell if people have experienced it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 12" g4 800 logic board compatibility | Not Starting Up »