New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Automatic Logout when lid closed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

areth2j

areth2j is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" iBook G4, 1.33Ghz, 1GB Ram...G4 Mac Mini 1.42Ghz, 512 MB Ram...External Lacie 250GB Mini

Hi there,

The title of this thread may have given away my question, but i'll start from the beginning anyway.

My GF keeps using my computer and logging into MSN under my account which really annoys me when she leave herself logged in, I should maybe just ban her from the Mac

I digress, basically I'm looking for a way for my computer to automatically log out when I close the lid.

Is there any way I can get my lappy to do this?

Thanks for your help

G :yinyang:
QUOTE Thanks
pphking

pphking is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM

Go to System Preferences, Security. Then select "use password to wake this computer from sleep or screensaver"
Now all you have to do is change your password to something she doesn't know then you are sorted.

Hope this helps
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
areth2j

Mac Specs: 12" iBook G4, 1.33Ghz, 1GB Ram...G4 Mac Mini 1.42Ghz, 512 MB Ram...External Lacie 250GB Mini

Thanks mate, thats kool. I found that option ealier but I was looking to have some way of getting to the main login screen so that if say I opened up the lid I could select my profile and log in an if the girl opened it she could select hers.

So basically I'm trying to get teh general login screen (the one with the user account icons) to appear when my computer awakes from sleep.

Any way to do this??

Cheers

G
QUOTE Thanks
mcsenerd

mcsenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by areth2j
Thanks mate, thats kool. I found that option ealier but I was looking to have some way of getting to the main login screen so that if say I opened up the lid I could select my profile and log in an if the girl opened it she could select hers.

So basically I'm trying to get teh general login screen (the one with the user account icons) to appear when my computer awakes from sleep.

Any way to do this??

Cheers

G
I'd say this good place for this question would be the forums over at MACOSXHINTS.COM. Heck...if you do a search over there...you might even find that this has already been covered.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphking
Go to System Preferences, Security. Then select "use password to wake this computer from sleep or screensaver"
Now all you have to do is change your password to something she doesn't know then you are sorted.

I would do it this way.. When you set this option and you close the lid of the computer next time you open it up there is a password box. This will allow you to log back into the system if you were the last one using it, but there is also a button on the bottom of that window in which it says "switch user" This will alow you (or your girlfriend) to switch to the account you wish to go to.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
pphking

pphking is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM

Go to System Preferences and then Accounts, at the bottom you have Login Options. Just select Display Users and then the security option I mentioned and this should do what you want.

Hope this helps
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
areth2j

Thanks guys, great help.

Just a note for anyone that is reading, I did not have the 'swith users' option on my login scren when my computer woke from sleep.

If you wanna get this you have to switch on 'fast user switching' under Preferences->Accounts->Login Options.

One thing that bothers me about this is that technically the other user stays logged in. Does this not suck away at the available RAM in the system?

Cheers

G
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help with systemstarter | MB PRO 1.83ghz , question about remote program »