New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

External or internal DVD burner for ibook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

makwanad

makwanad will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb

I'm not bothered what sort I get I just want to know the price range of them and which one is cheapest to get? Also where I can get em from of course...

Back with the mac!
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

MrChris is a jewel in the roughMrChris is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac | iPhone 4

Im sure you can pick up an external DVD writer quite cheap now (something between say 60-100?)

I would try Amazon, E-Buyer etc...

I would go with an external because of how much hassle it would be to find a writer that is compatible with the iBook (i.e. one that will physically fit inside it) and the hassle of taking the iBook to bits and installing it.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Chris.
QUOTE Thanks
pphking

pphking is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM

I agree with what MrChris says.

It would be a lot of hassle to find and fit an internal writer I would imagine.
Let us know what you get as I too am looking for a DVD writer that's cheap for my iBook.
I had an iMac but just sold it as I found I am using the iBook all the time and the iMac was only being used for burning DVDs.

Paul
QUOTE Thanks
mcsenerd

mcsenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD

I put a Pioneer K05 DVD burner in my iBook. I just don't want the hassle of carrying around another piece of equipment. I can't remember how much I paid for it...but it was less than 90 bucks. It does dual layer...and is natively recognized under Tiger. I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart...but if you're decent with electronics and don't have parkinson's or some other inability to control your fine motor skills...then it's really not that bad of a process to replace the optical drive in an iBook. Just follow the instructions over at ifixit.com and you should be good to go.

For what it's worth...Newegg's got the K-06 (which also does DVD-RAM) for less than 90 bucks here.

I've got half a mind to order it and replace mine
QUOTE Thanks
munch

munch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD

I made my own using an internal burner and external enclosure. I used this burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106014

It worked without patchburn. You can get this and an inexpensive 5.25 enclosure for under 70 bucks. You get a good deal and do it yourself pride!
QUOTE Thanks
makwanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsenerd
I put a Pioneer K05 DVD burner in my iBook. I just don't want the hassle of carrying around another piece of equipment. I can't remember how much I paid for it...but it was less than 90 bucks. It does dual layer...and is natively recognized under Tiger. I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart...but if you're decent with electronics and don't have parkinson's or some other inability to control your fine motor skills...then it's really not that bad of a process to replace the optical drive in an iBook. Just follow the instructions over at ifixit.com and you should be good to go.

For what it's worth...Newegg's got the K-06 (which also does DVD-RAM) for less than 90 bucks here.

I've got half a mind to order it and replace mine
So maybe if you get the new one I could buy the old one off you if you ship to the UK?

Also to the comment before this one, how on earth did you get that mahussive drive to work inside your iBook? It must have taken intense surgery and must have been one long operation to do so!

Back with the mac!
QUOTE Thanks
munch

munch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by makwanad
So maybe if you get the new one I could buy the old one off you if you ship to the UK?

Also to the comment before this one, how on earth did you get that mahussive drive to work inside your iBook? It must have taken intense surgery and must have been one long operation to do so!
I didn't put it in my ibook, I put it in an external enclosure. The surgery wasn't very intensive, and the operation didn't take too long either! I was happy with the end result. I was too scared to open up my ibook before the warranty ended to put in an internal.
QUOTE Thanks
makwanad

Ah right I see, I am starting to dislike my G3 iBook, although I love macs deeply mine does not give me the power I want nor does it have the features I want, which is why I want to make i as best as I can. If not then I'm getting the Intel Mini!

Back with the mac!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« More pics of Macbook if you like to see. | just a white screen-please help »