michaelk69
    Overcharging battery?
    Hello everyone, and thanks for all of the help you've given me so far . . . I have just bought my first Apple (G4 Powerbook) and I am still getting to grips with 'the switch' . . . and believe me, this site has really helped!

Just one other (very basic, sorry!) question though:

Is it okay to leave my Powerbook charging for long periods of time, e.g. overnight? Or is that bad for the battery?

hokiethang
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelk69
    Hello everyone, and thanks for all of the help you've given me so far . . . I have just bought my first Apple (G4 Powerbook) and I am still getting to grips with 'the switch' . . . and believe me, this site has really helped!

Just one other (very basic, sorry!) question though:

Is it okay to leave my Powerbook charging for long periods of time, e.g. overnight? Or is that bad for the battery?
    I havent had a problem. I dont turn my powerbook off though so mine keeps using power when im not using it.

michaelk69
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiethang
    I havent had a problem. I dont turn my powerbook off though so mine keeps using power when im not using it.

Okay, I gotchya, thanks. I don't really plan to turn mine off either, unless I am travelling or something like that.

I just wasn't sure if it is better to keep going with the charge fully/discharge fully cycle ad infinitum, or whether I should just keep it plugged in all of the time (when I am just sitting at a desk, and don't need mobility, I mean) even if that means having it plugged in for 8+ hours.

StarManta
    i have kept mine plugged in overnight for months (and generally the entire weekend as well), and the last time i ran it from full charge to auto shut-off, it went roughly 3 hours. I think it's fine.

Overcharging battery?
    Specs:
    1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
    Overcharging batteries used to be a problem on Cell phones, but with new cell phones, it stops charging when it becomes full, so it's no longer a problem.

Anyways, I'm getting to the fact that Laptops have probably had the technology to not charge anymore after it's full.

sKaD

michaelk69
    Okay, thanks so much again . . . I know that these are really very basic (and possibly stupid) questions, but I am so in love with my Powerbook (already, after three days?!) that I don't want to do anything to mess it up!

Thanks very much for all your help.

hokiethang
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelk69
    I am so in love with my Powerbook (already, after three days?!) that I don't want to do anything to mess it up!

Thanks very much for all your help.
    What??!?!! 3 days, thats a long time for it to take normally. It took me 10 hours. :cool:

fej1
    The performance of lithium-ion batteries is unaffected by how long the charger is plugged in.

Thread Information