New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - PCI-E slot?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

edgeit

edgeit is on a distinguished road

so the PCI-E slot is small? im confused. i dont really have a specific question persay just if someone could give me some info on whats going on there that would be cool. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
notoriousformul

Desktops have Full 16x, 1x PCI-E slots where you plug your video card(most of the time) 1x slots are for sound cards and future network cards etc.. Laptops now have the same technology so they can fetch higher bandwidth from the onboard video card.. hence a Mini PCI-E slot for them.. just like you have you have Mini(regular) PCI slot where most of the wifi cards go.

Hope this helps.

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

The MacBook Pro has a PCI Express connection to the built-in graphics. This is not a slot, just a link between the system bus and the graphics card. It's permanently soldered, and the graphics can't be removed or upgraded.

There is a 34 millimeter ExpressCard slot on the side for expansion. It replaces the PC Card/CardBus slot in PowerBooks.
QUOTE Thanks
edgeit

edgeit is on a distinguished road

can i buy a peice of hardware to upgrade my audio capabilities. i have speakers that connect through optical coaxal and the 3 1/8 inch ports but the mac book onl has a headphone jack so the peackers i have are useless. can this PCI E port do anything for me>
QUOTE Thanks
ashden

There is probably not an audio card for it yet. Just google search for expresscard and make sure it is a 34mm not 54mm card.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External DVD Burner | I Need Peoples Options on the 12 and 15 PB »