RAM Question for Powerbook
    Hi everyone,

i think of upgrading the RAM in my Powerbook. Does anyone know what type of RAM comes with the powerbook? And what are some RAM Brand Names that go with MAC? At a local store near me they have this RAM called "Transcend". Is that one any good?

Let me know

Thanks in Advance

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    I have never heard of that brand of ram. I can recomend a website (http://www.crucial.com/) that gaurentees the fact that the ram will be compatible with your powerbook. You tell it what kind how old all of that information, and it will give you a list of pieces of ram for your system that will be good for it.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

notoriousformul
    PB comes w/ SO-Dimm PC 2700.. Transcend makes okay ram..for better compatibility i would recommend Kingston, OCZ, Corsair, Crucial/Micron etc.. they all come w/ Lifetime warranty. For best prices and free shipping check www.newegg.com or Zipzoomfly(Google both)

GL!

Specs:
    PowerBook G4 1.67 15" 2GB RAM 80GB HD Superdisk
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
    I have never heard of that brand of ram. I can recomend a website (http://www.crucial.com/) that gaurentees the fact that the ram will be compatible with your powerbook. You tell it what kind how old all of that information, and it will give you a list of pieces of ram for your system that will be good for it.
    When I go to crucial.com, there's two choices for a PowerBook G4 1.67 15" for memory. DDR2 and non-DDR2. Which one is right for mine? (Note: my PB was ordered yesterday so I don't have it in front of me. Is there a way to tell which kind of memory I have once I do have it?)

Thanks!

Scott

Specs:
    2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
    Quote Originally Posted by scottwdw
    When I go to crucial.com, there's two choices for a PowerBook G4 1.67 15" for memory. DDR2 and non-DDR2. Which one is right for mine? (Note: my PB was ordered yesterday so I don't have it in front of me. Is there a way to tell which kind of memory I have once I do have it?)

Thanks!

Scott
    Is the resolution on your PowerBook 1440x[I forgot what number goes here] or lower? If it's 1440, then it's the DDR2 model. Otherwise it's the DDR model.

Specs:
    Thanks! I believe it was the latest PowerBook G4 before the Intel ones so it should be DDR2 memory. I'll make sure.

BTW, I'm not going to be surprised that there's 2-256MB sticks am I? I'm assuming it's going to be one 512MB stick with an open slot for another 512MB stick. I ask because my Dell laptop came with 2-128MB for 256MB RAM and when I needed to upgrade, I had to replace both with 256MB chips for 512MB.

Leoking
    My powerbook G4 came with one 512 stick, which sells for $49.95 USA and 1 gig for $199.99 USA, big difference.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leoking
    My powerbook G4 came with one 512 stick, which sells for $49.95 USA and 1 gig for $199.99 USA, big difference.
    Just recieved my shipment notice and it says 1x512 so that mystery is solved. Thanks!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by scottwdw
    Just recieved my shipment notice and it says 1x512 so that mystery is solved. Thanks!
    Just an update here. My Powerbook showed up last Friday :cool: It was the last 15.2" model before the Intel chips with high resolution and DDR2 memory. Ordered my crucial 1GB stick from newegg.com last night. Only $96 plus shipping. Nice!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Specs:
    Last update...installed the RAM. Took about 5 minutes and have updated my Mac specs to 1.5 GB RAM...woo hoo!

mactopsuit
    I just bought a Kingston RAM for my PB it's working well!

Specs:
    1.67GHZ 15" PowerBook G4 Widescreen "The Great Last PowerBook"/20" iMac Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256VRAM
    I bought RAM from CompUSA, not sure of the brand, but it was causing all kinds of problems. My Powerbook would lock up and I couldn't do anything. Serious problems since just having switched, I thought that MACs weren't supposed to crash. So I took it back out and all was well. Then I figured I bear the price and order from Apple. It cost a lot more, but it was well worth it. I haven't had any problems. I think I just got a bad module, but it burned me enough to buy it straight from the source. Just my two cents.

Specs:
    15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs
    RamJet has really good deals on RAM. I bought 2GB for my Powerbook and have yet to have a kernel panic. Plus their sales people are really nice.
    I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
    They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
    I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.

Thread Information