New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook G4 Bluetooth connection problems with Sony Ericsson phone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jonathan488

Hi all,

I recently brought a G4 off eBay which all seems to work fine. It's a 1.2GHZ version with Bluetooth on board.

I am wanting to connect to my Sony Ericsson K750i / W800 mobile but I'm having problems. The bluetooth will only connect if the phone is parallel to the iBook about 0.5cm away! If I go any further away it will not connect!

I have also tried connecting with my Motorola E398 but had the same problem.

Is something wrong with my bluetooth module or something? One thing to note, I won the iBook off a Japanese / Chinese (sorry don't know which!) person. If he had set it up to work in Japan, do they have different Bluetooth standards which might be causing the problem?

Thanks for anyone's help.
QUOTE Thanks
munch

munch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD

This won't help, but my bluetooth works really well with my RAZR. You might want to get it checked out. Is there a Hardware/software checker that can see if it's running correctly? Try going to System Profiler and see if Bluetoorh is working right.
QUOTE Thanks
chuckalicious

chuckalicious is on a distinguished road

I would have thought bluetooth is the same the world over, which is kinda the point. Mine can work from at least 1 room away, so I think there is a fault.
QUOTE Thanks
jonathan488

I will check the profiler later on today when I finish work.

Does anyone know if there is an aerial attached to the module that might have come un-stuck?
QUOTE Thanks
chuckalicious

chuckalicious is on a distinguished road

If there was, it'd be connected to the card, so it'd be pretty obvious if there was one, when you have a look at the card itself.
QUOTE Thanks
jonathan488

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckalicious
If there was, it'd be connected to the card, so it'd be pretty obvious if there was one, when you have a look at the card itself.
Forgive me for sounding stupid but where is the card located? I've upgraded my memory but did not see the bluetooth card...
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

The bluetooth module is internal, so you wouldn't be able to see it unless you opened it right up...

I have the same phone and have had no issues with the range...
There is a little ariel inside the iBook that the bluetooth module connects to, so you might have to take it to an apple service partner to see if it's come off.
QUOTE Thanks
jonathan488

Thanks for your help everyone, especially Aptmunich. I was told it was still under warrenty so hopefully I can take it back and get it done under warrenty.

Thanks again everyone.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen lighter in corners | Performance of 1gb memory »