New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Performance of 1gb memory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

airline1

The 1.33ghz iBook I recently bought off ebay came with 512mb Ram. I have just ordered a stick of 1gb crucial memory which will max it out at 1.25gb, should I expect to see a significant increase in performance.
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by airline1
The 1.33ghz iBook I recently bought off ebay came with 512mb Ram. I have just ordered a stick of 1gb crucial memory which will max it out at 1.25gb, should I expect to see a significant increase in performance.
I went from 512MB to 1GB in my 1.42GHZ mini (just a few days ago), and yes, the difference is definitely noticeable, but more so in that I can leave more apps open/running in the dock than before, and my swap file now typically hovers around 64 or 128MB, rather than 512MB or more. So, as is typically the case with more RAM, more apps can run with less "effort", and the system is definitely more responsive.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

OS X loves the memory.
QUOTE Thanks
Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

i don't know if it would be significant b/c processor speed and primarily bus speed is what separates performance from an ibook to powerbook. i upgraded my ram up to 768mb and I can honestly say i didn't notice a significant improvement in speed but definitely smoother performance when opening up large applications. i found the powerbook with base 256mb ram was faster than my upgraded ibook. but the more ram the merrier!
QUOTE Thanks
BigBear

BigBear has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: ibook G4 14in

anybody ever bump up from 768 to 1.25 gig of ram? i've noticed lately doing some multitasking (iphoto, photoedit, ichat, safari, itunes) things tend to slow down a little. just wondering if i would notice any difference going from 768 to 1.25...

my apple is bling *tisk tisk, you shouldn't have any bling.. just nice things*
QUOTE Thanks
munch

munch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD

I went from 512 to 1.5. Start up times were a little faster, but the real difference is in the number of programs that can run at one time. It's worth it, I think.
QUOTE Thanks

11213 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Ibook G4 12in 1gig RAM + 24in Imac 2.16 2.5 gig RAM Leopard

I went from 512 to 1gig and there isnt that much of a speed diff. however i use tons of widgets and that ram helps alot.
QUOTE Thanks
mactopsuit

I'm sure no one buys ram from apple direct with so many 3rd party providers. Which 3rd party 1g ram would you recommend for a powerbook? Kingston?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook G4 Bluetooth connection problems with Sony Ericsson phone | Help my Powerbook keeps crashing »