New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Restore retina MBP to Factory Default

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cowbrain

cowbrain is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP retina 13.3 2.6GHz i5, Macbook black 2.4GHz core two duo, 4GB RAM, 500gb hdd (7200 rpm) 10.6.8

Hello all

Bought the latest Retina MBP. Very nice machine, but pretty useless for my own needs. I need an onboard Firewire port (Thunderbolt adapter brings its own problems with DV capture into FCP) and an optical drive would be handy, too. Prefer a built-in, rather than an add-on)

Had it around 6 weeks,now, and have decided to 'downgrade' to a non retina model, which has everything I need on the machine.

My question is: How can I get the retina MBP back to its factory state (so the new owner will get the welcome screen - and none of my junk/info?) I've done this with previous Macbooks I've sold, but they always had OS discs, to help me achieve this.

Thanks in advance, CB

Can I edit the title of this thread to something more appropriate? EG Resetting MBP retina to factory settings? Thanks.

Macbook black, 2.4ghz core2duo, 4gb ram, 500gbHDD(7200rpm), OS X 10.6.8, using Firefox,Safari, Chrome

Last edited by cowbrain; 07-14-2014 at 10:58 AM. Reason: edited in an attempt to improve clarity.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Here's one method if you are comfortable with Terminal. Make Mavericks Re-run the Setup Assistant | Station in the Metro

I'm sure I've seen others but can't find the really good one.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
cowbrain

Mac Specs: MBP retina 13.3 2.6GHz i5, Macbook black 2.4GHz core two duo, 4GB RAM, 500gb hdd (7200 rpm) 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Here's one method if you are comfortable with Terminal. Make Mavericks Re-run the Setup Assistant | Station in the Metro

I'm sure I've seen others but can't find the really good one.
Many thanks, Slydude. I like the look of that.

I'm not uber-familiar with terminal, but have used it before (under instruction!)
I'll give it a while, to see if any totally simple solutions come through, and then give it a go, if not.

Thanks again for the advice - and for changing the title, as I requested.

Best wishes, CB

Macbook black, 2.4ghz core2duo, 4gb ram, 500gbHDD(7200rpm), OS X 10.6.8, using Firefox,Safari, Chrome
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I think this might accomplish the same thing.10.9: Update OS without creating a user on a new Mac - Mac OS X Hints I haven't had a chance to fully examine it to see if it is simpler than the previous hint.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
cowbrain

Hello Slydude.

I'd like to conclude this thread with a final thank you.
In the end, I sold it, having manually removed the little I'd put on.
I liked the terminal method - but was a bit nervous - it would have been my first venture that deep into terminal world.
I also called Apple support and they guided me to this method:

OS X: How to erase and install

Looks effective? Might prove useful, if anyone else wants to set their retina back to zero.
But too late for me
New owner is happy, I'm happy, everybody wins.

Thanks again. Your help was much appreciated.

Best. CB

Last edited by cowbrain; 08-02-2014 at 07:57 PM.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How Do I Uninstall Windows 8.1 | erratic trackpad behavior after water spill »