woo
    iBook - Intermittent Video
    I just purchased an iBook (800MHz, 30GB, 128MB) and the video is intermittent. Often times when I start it up, there is no video at all but it is obvious that the computer has booted up. Occassionally, i'll get consistent video with no problems whatsoever. Sometimes, when I do receive video, there are lines on the screen like a connector is loose. I opened it up and disconnected all the connectors and then reconnected them but i'm not 100% familiar with the internal aspect of the machine so it's likely that I missed something crucial. How can I remedy this problem?

Thanks,
    Ted

chrisb2999
    Quote Originally Posted by woo
    I just purchased an iBook (800MHz, 30GB, 128MB) and the video is intermittent. Often times when I start it up, there is no video at all but it is obvious that the computer has booted up. Occassionally, i'll get consistent video with no problems whatsoever. Sometimes, when I do receive video, there are lines on the screen like a connector is loose. I opened it up and disconnected all the connectors and then reconnected them but i'm not 100% familiar with the internal aspect of the machine so it's likely that I missed something crucial. How can I remedy this problem?

Thanks,
    Ted

You have a bad logic board and you may be able to get it repaired for free under apple's logic board repair extension program (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/). This has been a major issue with the late ibook g3 models, so several consumers filed a class action lawsuit against apple, hence the extended program. Anyways its worth a shot.

woo
    My iBook is 2 months over being 3 years old so I doubt i'd be able to get a free logic board.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb2999
    You have a bad logic board and you may be able to get it repaired for free under apple's logic board repair extension program (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/). This has been a major issue with the late ibook g3 models, so several consumers filed a class action lawsuit against apple, hence the extended program. Anyways its worth a shot.

iBook - Intermittent Video
    Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by woo
    My iBook is 2 months over being 3 years old so I doubt i'd be able to get a free logic board.
    It's certainly worth a try. I recently had my logic board fail, and I could not have been any more pleased with how Apple took care of the problem: http://mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30832

I strongly suggest that you back up any information you might need, because if/when the board finally fails, it will be more difficult to do so.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

Thread Information