New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Intermittent Video

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

woo

I just purchased an iBook (800MHz, 30GB, 128MB) and the video is intermittent. Often times when I start it up, there is no video at all but it is obvious that the computer has booted up. Occassionally, i'll get consistent video with no problems whatsoever. Sometimes, when I do receive video, there are lines on the screen like a connector is loose. I opened it up and disconnected all the connectors and then reconnected them but i'm not 100% familiar with the internal aspect of the machine so it's likely that I missed something crucial. How can I remedy this problem?

Thanks,
Ted
QUOTE Thanks
chrisb2999

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo
I just purchased an iBook (800MHz, 30GB, 128MB) and the video is intermittent. Often times when I start it up, there is no video at all but it is obvious that the computer has booted up. Occassionally, i'll get consistent video with no problems whatsoever. Sometimes, when I do receive video, there are lines on the screen like a connector is loose. I opened it up and disconnected all the connectors and then reconnected them but i'm not 100% familiar with the internal aspect of the machine so it's likely that I missed something crucial. How can I remedy this problem?

Thanks,
Ted

You have a bad logic board and you may be able to get it repaired for free under apple's logic board repair extension program (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/). This has been a major issue with the late ibook g3 models, so several consumers filed a class action lawsuit against apple, hence the extended program. Anyways its worth a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
woo

My iBook is 2 months over being 3 years old so I doubt i'd be able to get a free logic board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb2999
You have a bad logic board and you may be able to get it repaired for free under apple's logic board repair extension program (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/). This has been a major issue with the late ibook g3 models, so several consumers filed a class action lawsuit against apple, hence the extended program. Anyways its worth a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo
My iBook is 2 months over being 3 years old so I doubt i'd be able to get a free logic board.
It's certainly worth a try. I recently had my logic board fail, and I could not have been any more pleased with how Apple took care of the problem: http://mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30832

I strongly suggest that you back up any information you might need, because if/when the board finally fails, it will be more difficult to do so.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 problems with my powerbook | Macbook Pro or no Pro? »