New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Need Mice Advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PFerrara

Hey all,

First off, I have a MBP on order and am patiently waiting, but I need to get a new mouse. I currently have a logitech mx700, almost 2 years old, and its beginning to show age (buttons not working, accuracy not as great, etc etc).

So of course I'm in the market for a new mouse. What I'm looking for is something with great accuracy, not wireless, and thumb buttons (you have no idea how much I use these ). My initial thoughts were for the new logitech g5, but how well does it work with Macs? Is there better?

I'd like your thoughts.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFerrara
Hey all,

First off, I have a MBP on order and am patiently waiting, but I need to get a new mouse. I currently have a logitech mx700, almost 2 years old, and its beginning to show age (buttons not working, accuracy not as great, etc etc).

So of course I'm in the market for a new mouse. What I'm looking for is something with great accuracy, not wireless, and thumb buttons (you have no idea how much I use these ). My initial thoughts were for the new logitech g5, but how well does it work with Macs? Is there better?

I'd like your thoughts.

Thanks
I'd go for a Logitech MX510 were I in your position. I use an MX518, which I found out after getting it had no Mac drivers. Luckily, USB Overdrive will tame any mouse to work exactly as I see fit.
QUOTE Thanks
airline1

The Logitech MX610 got a best buy thumbs up in this months MacFormat (UK).
It is Laser as opposed to optical and has more buttons than you can shake a dirty stick at.
QUOTE Thanks
PFerrara

Quote:
Originally Posted by airline1
The Logitech MX610 got a best buy thumbs up in this months MacFormat (UK).
It is Laser as opposed to optical and has more buttons than you can shake a dirty stick at.
yeh, i was looking at the laser tracking, but I wanted wired over wireless (ive had too many problems with wireless unfortunately). thats why the g5 stands out so much. little pricey (~$55), but I think its worth it in the long run

any other thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
airline1

One thing to bear in mind is, logitech does not provide Mac software for the laser mouse. So although you will be able to use the basic functions, you will not have any support for the extra buttons.

I have still bought one off ebay, but thats more to do with the fact they are so comfortable to work with, fit your hand just right. (as long as your not left handed !!)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Won't USB Overdrive take care of that?
QUOTE Thanks
notoriousformul

Another vote for MX510 >> Cheap & Best solution!
QUOTE Thanks
airline1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7

Dont know.... Im new to macs and have no clue as to what usb overdrive is!! :spook:
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Yes. Yes it will. And it's glorious. Now if only I could find a way to get USB Overdrive to stop giving me the little pop up window upon starting up my system without actually buying the registration key.
QUOTE Thanks
iRizzo

Why not get an Apple mouse. Like the ones that come with the iMacs. Those seem really nice.
QUOTE Thanks
rvr2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRizzo
Why not get an Apple mouse. Like the ones that come with the iMacs. Those seem really nice.
I am using the MX510 and it gets the job done. I just bought the G7 for my gaming PC and that is like butter. I ended up ordering a MX610 for the MacBook Pro, so I have wireless freedom.
QUOTE Thanks
randomfactor

randomfactor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet

I have the Mighty Mouse and find using it with apps like After Effects and Illustrator really accurate and so easy so pan and scroll with the mini scroll ball. I have had no problems with the side buttons with accidently activation. It's a recommended mouse.
But not if you right handed and have an iBook as the lead for the mouse is to short to reach the usb.

Man Fears Time but Time Fears the Pyramids
QUOTE Thanks
Going2fast

Going2fast is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with 1GB ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomfactor
But not if you right handed and have an iBook as the lead for the mouse is to short to reach the usb.
Sorry to hi-jack but are they okay if your right handed and have a MBP?
Cheers
Andy

Hey I'm Andy, New to the Apple Mac world, Please Help me :mac:

MacBOOK Pro, 1GB ram
QUOTE Thanks
randomfactor

randomfactor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going2fast
Sorry to hi-jack but are they okay if your right handed and have a MBP?
Cheers
Andy
Yeah its fine, as have one myself and use a Powerbook and the USB are in the same place as they are on the MBP.

Man Fears Time but Time Fears the Pyramids
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

I bought the MS Starck mouse, it suits the PB/MB well, since it's silver. It has 2 buttons and a scroll wheel. I paid $15 CDN for it too. It's optical and it has this cool blue or orange stripe down the middle that lights up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Restore Disks | Stolen! »