Thread: Help my Powerbook keeps crashing
02-24-2006, 09:10 PM #1annavGuestHelp my Powerbook keeps crashing
my wonderful Powerbook, which I've had since September, and has never crashed before, has crashed THREE times this evening.
First & second times it came up with the dark grey box saying I must restart the compter by holding down the power button.
Third time it just did an old-school crash by freezing (even the cursor wouldn't move) so I had to restart.
I love my mac so much and just want it to be OK neye:
PS Have tried Disk Utility (between 2 & 3rd crash but didn't seem to help.)
02-24-2006, 09:19 PM #2
- Member Since
- Jan 08, 2005
- New Jersey
- Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
02-24-2006, 09:24 PM #3annavGuest
No. No new ram, nothing done to alter the system in any way that I can think of. Have been racking my brains
Thank you for your relpy though
02-24-2006, 09:47 PM #4jn4jennyGuest
1. Back up your important data ASAP. If you can, use flash drives or an external hard drive--your computer may continue to crash if you attempt to burn CD's.
2. Download Applejack immediately. Applejack is a repair utility that can operate in single-user mode even if you can't boot Mac OS X--if you can keep the computer on long enough for Command-S, you can get to Applejack. http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19596
3. Run Applejack to see if it can fix the problem. This is unlikely but possible.
4. Be prepared for logic board failure or hard drive failure. It sounds like you're on your way there, unfortunately. Since you're in the one year warranty period, Apple will fix that sort of damage for free, but it'll take up to two weeks for them to ship your Powerbook out and get it back to you.
02-25-2006, 11:16 AM #5chrisb2999GuestOriginally Posted by jn4jenny
02-26-2006, 06:53 PM #6annavGuest
Thanks for the warning!
Going to buy myself a firewire drive tomorrow furst thing and back everything up.
Really appreciate this notice or I'd probably have lost everything!
03-01-2006, 02:13 PM #7annavGuest
Also, occasionally the screen is blacking out and won't come back on until it restarts and also when it does restart it shows the question mark file thing, is it all related?
03-02-2006, 01:40 AM #8mactopsuitGuest
May be a display related problem, my mate's ibook screen went white for a while for no reason. Sent it in for repair, it all works now.
03-02-2006, 04:32 PM #9annavGuest
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By one-eyed-cyke in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 2Last Post: 03-03-2008, 11:54 PM
By liquidcow in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 1Last Post: 10-25-2007, 12:40 PM
By jimmyb89 in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 2Last Post: 10-13-2007, 09:25 AM
By PartJedi in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 0Last Post: 11-18-2006, 07:01 PM