New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

2.1 speakers on ibook g4?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

could i use 2.1 "surround sound" speakers?

the ibook g4 has a headphones plug but will this cope with some 2.1 speakers?

thanks

chris tm :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
mcsenerd

mcsenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD

I don't see why not...2.1 is not true surround sound ala DTS or Dolby Digital...it's more like sound divied up by crossovers and sent to the appropriate speakers for reproduction.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsenerd
I don't see why not...2.1 is not true surround sound ala DTS or Dolby Digital...it's more like sound divied up by crossovers and sent to the appropriate speakers for reproduction.

ok what ever it is

will it work with my ibook g4
QUOTE Thanks
bfx

I suspect the 2.1 scheme he's referring is the one where the + and - leads for each channel from the headphone adaptor go to the left and right speakers. Those speakers also have a second set of connections that, thru an isolation pad built into each speaker (so the speaker's signal isn't weakened) are then connected to appropriate input connections on the subwoofer which filters out the higher frequencies and sums the bass signal from both channels.

The subwoofer should also be self powered, in most instances, when being driven from the relatively low level signal headphone jacks are normally able to produce. Often the sub will have the power supply to power it and the satellite speakers.

And a volume comtrol on the sub is definitely a plus for adjusting overall sound balance.

Such a system should work fine.

Only other thing really is to observe polarity when connecting everything. The + signal should always connect to the + terminals and the - to the -. Seems obvious but crossed wires happen more than one might think - which causes the signals delivered to the sub to be out of phase and effectively cancel out except for the minute differences between channels. That effectively kills the sub volume.

Check out the 2.1 speaker set you plan to buy and most likely you'll find it works this way.

bfx
QUOTE Thanks
christm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfx
I suspect the 2.1 scheme he's referring is the one where the + and - leads for each channel from the headphone adaptor go to the left and right speakers. Those speakers also have a second set of connections that, thru an isolation pad built into each speaker (so the speaker's signal isn't weakened) are then connected to appropriate input connections on the subwoofer which filters out the higher frequencies and sums the bass signal from both channels.

The subwoofer should also be self powered, in most instances, when being driven from the relatively low level signal headphone jacks are normally able to produce. Often the sub will have the power supply to power it and the satellite speakers.

And a volume comtrol on the sub is definitely a plus for adjusting overall sound balance.

Such a system should work fine.

Only other thing really is to observe polarity when connecting everything. The + signal should always connect to the + terminals and the - to the -. Seems obvious but crossed wires happen more than one might think - which causes the signals delivered to the sub to be out of phase and effectively cancel out except for the minute differences between channels. That effectively kills the sub volume.

Check out the 2.1 speaker set you plan to buy and most likely you'll find it works this way.

bfx
wicked thanks for all your help
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

something like this will work, you will plug it into your headphone jack, wires go to powered sub, from sub wires go to speakers
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
bfx

christm - you're welcome ...

and coach_z - thanks posting the link

bfx
QUOTE Thanks
christm

wicked - thanks guys. i was thinking of gettin these -

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje....8.25.7.11.9.3

would they work?
QUOTE Thanks
bfx

Getting an 'Object not found' browser message from the link.

bfx
QUOTE Thanks
christm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfx
Getting an 'Object not found' browser message from the link.

bfx

ok try this link -

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...at=HMM&ser=HMM
QUOTE Thanks
bfx

Looks like it should.

But check with the folks at the Apple Store before ordering.

No way for me to be certain as I don't have that setup.

bfx
QUOTE Thanks
christm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfx
Looks like it should.

But check with the folks at the Apple Store before ordering.

No way for me to be certain as I don't have that setup.

bfx

ok thanks very much
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Any 2.1 computer speakers I have ever worked with have one mini stereo jack and that will work perfectally with your iBook. Those JBL's are made for use with even iPods so yes, they will work. I have an iBook and use it sometimes with my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. Plugs right into the headphone jack and sounds great. Just do not get 4.1 or other surround sound speakers as most have multiple inputs.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

Quote:
Any 2.1 computer speakers I have ever worked with have one mini stereo jack and that will work perfectally with your iBook. Those JBL's are made for use with even iPods so yes, they will work. I have an iBook and use it sometimes with my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. Plugs right into the headphone jack and sounds great. Just do not get 4.1 or other surround sound speakers as most have multiple inputs.

wicked thankyou VERY much

i will purchase a pair off ebay.

thanks

chris tm :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

2.1 isn't surround sound. It's simply stereo speakers and a subwoofer. I have used my Creative Labs 2.1 Inspire speakers fine with my iBook before with no problems.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro 2.GHz ordered on 1/18 | Anyone receive their MBP 2.16G yet? »