Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1

    christm's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 18, 2005
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    2,288
    Specs:
    ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
    Question 2.1 speakers on ibook g4?
    could i use 2.1 "surround sound" speakers?

    the ibook g4 has a headphones plug but will this cope with some 2.1 speakers?

    thanks

    chris tm :mac:

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2005
    Posts
    190
    Specs:
    Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
    I don't see why not...2.1 is not true surround sound ala DTS or Dolby Digital...it's more like sound divied up by crossovers and sent to the appropriate speakers for reproduction.

  3. #3

    christm's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 18, 2005
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    2,288
    Specs:
    ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsenerd
    I don't see why not...2.1 is not true surround sound ala DTS or Dolby Digital...it's more like sound divied up by crossovers and sent to the appropriate speakers for reproduction.

    ok what ever it is

    will it work with my ibook g4

  4. #4
    bfx
    Guest
    I suspect the 2.1 scheme he's referring is the one where the + and - leads for each channel from the headphone adaptor go to the left and right speakers. Those speakers also have a second set of connections that, thru an isolation pad built into each speaker (so the speaker's signal isn't weakened) are then connected to appropriate input connections on the subwoofer which filters out the higher frequencies and sums the bass signal from both channels.

    The subwoofer should also be self powered, in most instances, when being driven from the relatively low level signal headphone jacks are normally able to produce. Often the sub will have the power supply to power it and the satellite speakers.

    And a volume comtrol on the sub is definitely a plus for adjusting overall sound balance.

    Such a system should work fine.

    Only other thing really is to observe polarity when connecting everything. The + signal should always connect to the + terminals and the - to the -. Seems obvious but crossed wires happen more than one might think - which causes the signals delivered to the sub to be out of phase and effectively cancel out except for the minute differences between channels. That effectively kills the sub volume.

    Check out the 2.1 speaker set you plan to buy and most likely you'll find it works this way.

    bfx

  5. #5

    christm's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 18, 2005
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    2,288
    Specs:
    ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
    Quote Originally Posted by bfx
    I suspect the 2.1 scheme he's referring is the one where the + and - leads for each channel from the headphone adaptor go to the left and right speakers. Those speakers also have a second set of connections that, thru an isolation pad built into each speaker (so the speaker's signal isn't weakened) are then connected to appropriate input connections on the subwoofer which filters out the higher frequencies and sums the bass signal from both channels.

    The subwoofer should also be self powered, in most instances, when being driven from the relatively low level signal headphone jacks are normally able to produce. Often the sub will have the power supply to power it and the satellite speakers.

    And a volume comtrol on the sub is definitely a plus for adjusting overall sound balance.

    Such a system should work fine.

    Only other thing really is to observe polarity when connecting everything. The + signal should always connect to the + terminals and the - to the -. Seems obvious but crossed wires happen more than one might think - which causes the signals delivered to the sub to be out of phase and effectively cancel out except for the minute differences between channels. That effectively kills the sub volume.

    Check out the 2.1 speaker set you plan to buy and most likely you'll find it works this way.

    bfx
    wicked thanks for all your help

  6. #6

    coach_z's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location
    North NJ
    Posts
    3,169
    Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    something like this will work, you will plug it into your headphone jack, wires go to powered sub, from sub wires go to speakers
    -chris
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

  7. #7
    bfx
    Guest
    christm - you're welcome ...

    and coach_z - thanks posting the link

    bfx

  8. #8

    christm's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 18, 2005
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    2,288
    Specs:
    ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
    wicked - thanks guys. i was thinking of gettin these -

    http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje....8.25.7.11.9.3


    would they work?

  9. #9
    bfx
    Guest
    Getting an 'Object not found' browser message from the link.

    bfx

  10. #10

    christm's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 18, 2005
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    2,288
    Specs:
    ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
    Quote Originally Posted by bfx
    Getting an 'Object not found' browser message from the link.

    bfx

    ok try this link -

    http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...at=HMM&ser=HMM

  11. #11
    bfx
    Guest
    Looks like it should.

    But check with the folks at the Apple Store before ordering.

    No way for me to be certain as I don't have that setup.

    bfx

  12. #12

    christm's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 18, 2005
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    2,288
    Specs:
    ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
    Quote Originally Posted by bfx
    Looks like it should.

    But check with the folks at the Apple Store before ordering.

    No way for me to be certain as I don't have that setup.

    bfx

    ok thanks very much

  13. #13

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,982
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Any 2.1 computer speakers I have ever worked with have one mini stereo jack and that will work perfectally with your iBook. Those JBL's are made for use with even iPods so yes, they will work. I have an iBook and use it sometimes with my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. Plugs right into the headphone jack and sounds great. Just do not get 4.1 or other surround sound speakers as most have multiple inputs.

  14. #14

    christm's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 18, 2005
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    2,288
    Specs:
    ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
    Exclamation
    Any 2.1 computer speakers I have ever worked with have one mini stereo jack and that will work perfectally with your iBook. Those JBL's are made for use with even iPods so yes, they will work. I have an iBook and use it sometimes with my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. Plugs right into the headphone jack and sounds great. Just do not get 4.1 or other surround sound speakers as most have multiple inputs.

    wicked thankyou VERY much

    i will purchase a pair off ebay.

    thanks

    chris tm :mac:

  15. #15
    mangoSharingan
    Guest
    2.1 isn't surround sound. It's simply stereo speakers and a subwoofer. I have used my Creative Labs 2.1 Inspire speakers fine with my iBook before with no problems.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. speakers for iBook
    By sabusforms in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-02-2007, 08:21 PM
  2. ibook g4 speakers
    By oslothecat in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-20-2006, 03:19 AM
  3. ibook speakers
    By shimanok2 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
  4. speakers for ibook
    By varpunk in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 01:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •