New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Air/Pro screen size - coding, external display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

currywurst

currywurst is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I am considering buying a MacBook Air 13" for my university years. (I am starting Computer Science this year)

I friend of mine reminded me that it is highly likely that the screen real estate would not be enough. (for coding, the more you have, the better; many people claim at least)

So I wondered if a MacBook Pro 13" would be better. But on the Verge review of the rMBP I found this:

"[about the retina display] It's essentially taking a 1280 x 800 display and displaying four pixels in each spot"
"The problem is simple real estate — 1280 x 800 isn't that much screen space. I can see more on my 13-inch, 1440 x 900 Air than on the 13-inch Pro"

Is it really so? Anyone of you having a rPro and an Air as well? For you, what was coding like on the Air? Is it really so bad?

I just thought that I could connect an external display to the Air. Is it possible, can the Air drive a huge (21"+) display?

If you have any such experience please let me know.

Thanks a lot
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

I haven't coded on an Air, but I can comment as follows.

A couple of days ago I played with a MBA and 13" rMBP back-to-back. Honestly, I found the MBA display better. Sure the retina is beautiful, but the res isn't great. You can connect a nice external monitor via the Thunderbolt port in either case.

Further considerations:
-Will you be coding in OS X or do you need to run Windows in a VM? If VM, you'll need a decent SSD (>=256 GB) on the Air. Either way, max. out the RAM - no longer user-upgradeable.
-How big will your projects be? If they're going to be large and involve local database engines, you might want to consider a machine with more horsepower. If a large project + DB stuff to be done in a VM, then even a dual-core MBP may battle.

I develop in Windows under Fusion and ultimately settled for a 2012 15" MBP (hi-res, non-retina) which is an absolute dream.

Last edited by Checco; 05-17-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: More detail
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by currywurst View Post
I just thought that I could connect an external display to the Air. Is it possible, can the Air drive a huge (21"+) display?
A 21" display is not huge. 22"- 24" external displays are very common. Apple iMacs are 21.5" and 27".

Both the MBA and MBP can drive up to a 30" display (2560x1600).

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
currywurst

currywurst is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your anwsers. Anyone else with coding experience on the Air?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bright yellow screen for several seconds during startup? | What SSD should i choose for an macbook pro 17inch early 2011? »