New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Things to look for in a Demo unit

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mace

Mace will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 1.83 MBP

So I called the Apple Store up here in the triangle and they said to call back tomorrow about having demo units in and for sale.
I say that to say this: What things should I look for in a demo unit. I'd be looking at a laptop so I figured trackpad, screen, keypad and other general things. Anything I should specifically look for would be great.

Thanks in advance
:black:
QUOTE Thanks
WizzKid

WizzKid is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac G5 - iPod Touch - iPod Video (30GB) - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen - Airport Extreme&Express

whats a demo unit
QUOTE Thanks
Mace

The one's they leave out for you to try out and play on.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

See if they'll let you run coconutbattery on it once to see how shot the battery is.
QUOTE Thanks
quicksilver

quicksilver will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch

And as you say, screen, trackpad + buttons, keyboard keys, etc.

Check the screen opens and closes without any power failures/distortion.

Check any ports for pin damage.

Are you getting this unit on the cheap cos its demo?

Oh...and only pretty girls use Macs...
QUOTE Thanks
Mace

yea, I read on macnn forums where you can ask 'em about it. So I'm going over to my local one and test the waters. I wouldn't be getting it till next week though, at the earliest.

AptMunich, what's a good battery suppose to read?

Thanks again for all the input.
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace
yea, I read on macnn forums where you can ask 'em about it. So I'm going over to my local one and test the waters. I wouldn't be getting it till next week though, at the earliest.

AptMunich, what's a good battery suppose to read?

Thanks again for all the input.
This is what it looks like running on my 7 month old PowerBook after a bit of use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (68.8 KB, 54 views)

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
Mace

Thanks for that, I knew I'd seen that before but I couldn't remember what it was called. Guess I'll run that if I come across a demo unit at my local apple store.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Every Mac comes with a test CD. Have them run that.
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_tough_to_die
This is what it looks like running on my 7 month old PowerBook after a bit of use.
Sad, I'm down to 93% of my original strength. Then again, I've got 400 battery cycles, and my PB is 14 months old...
QUOTE Thanks
Core Duo

Thanks for that
QUOTE Thanks
Kutless217

Kutless217 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs2sensen
Sad, I'm down to 93% of my original strength. Then again, I've got 400 battery cycles, and my PB is 14 months old...
dang...mine is at 63% after 16 months and i have 548 cycles. why such a huge difference?
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutless217
dang...mine is at 63% after 16 months and i have 548 cycles. why such a huge difference?
I try and run mine off of the power adapter as much as possible. If you tend to run off the battery more, that explains the cycle difference. Still, that's a huge difference in percentage between us, I don't know...
QUOTE Thanks
Redbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs2sensen
I try and run mine off of the power adapter as much as possible. If you tend to run off the battery more, that explains the cycle difference. Still, that's a huge difference in percentage between us, I don't know...
Yes, mine is recorded to be at 92% capacity and is 14 months old. But my battery load cycles at 331! Sounds a huge loss compared to yours.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« just a white screen-please help | iBook G3 problems pleaaaaase help!!!!!!!!!!!! »