New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

What SSD should i choose for an macbook pro 17inch early 2011?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrflash23

mrflash23 is on a distinguished road

i have been hearing great things from the samsung series, and i was going to choose this one

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...639&CatId=5300

Also i have another question, will this also help with heating issues i have sometimes? or does this depends on my video card and ram? for example i use programs like final cut pro x and adobe premire, and apple motion, after effects, and if i do intensvie things it will sometimes overheat, causing some lag in the programs, espically if i work on 1920x1080 footage if im just cutting up clips, i use my SMC fan control alot to cool it down and it helps, but it sucks i have to turn it on as soon as i open up a program sometimes cause i know in intense things the fans will rise

Also my overheating issues sometimes go into the browsers i use, chrome and firefox, if im on a very flashy website or watching videos, it will heat and my vids and websites will lag and glitch, it sucks i have to use safari cause of this, my only qualms with safari it is not quick enough, pages load slower, and images loading up are super slow, but at least with safari videos play good, and i dont get any heating up, i will say i had no problem using chrome and firefox, before upgrading to mavericks and now it just heats up and lags,

to note the programs and browsers dont heat up when sitting idle by the way

Here are my specs

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

and i have mavericks osx

Last edited by mrflash23; 05-16-2014 at 11:05 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

You spends your bucks and takes your chances alas. I have used G.Skill Falcon and Kingston with no luck at all. Have found Toshiba, OCZ Vertek and OWC all too be pretty good. Remember all drives, platter or solid state, will fail sooner or later.

For what it is worth Samsung is bottom shelf for me personally but no doubt many nwill disagree. Regarding heat what are the temperatures?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I have just recently bought my 1st Samsung SSD, the, 128GB Samsung 840 Pro Series 2.5" MLC High Performance SSD SATA 6Gb/s and haven't had any problems at all. It has good read/write speeds as seen with the BlackMagic Speed Test.. I use it as a iMac Boot Drive and is Fast !!!! I would recommend Samsung, in the SSD market at the moment.
Things could change though . . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

Okay I am putting my MBP through much the same paces you are. I use Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Encoder, Encore, Photoshop, etc. on hour long projects sometimes with at least three programs open and bouncing between two or three of them. Usually Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop.

The only difference between my MBP and yours is I have 16GB of memory the rest is identical. I have a 1 TB HDD which I have considered changing to an SSD. Mine is an early 2011. I have never used the SMC to adjust the fan speed but I do have it on a laptop cooler with twin fans because it does feel very warn on the bottom and I recognize I am working it hard and want the additional cooling. I have never experienced any slowdown issues. You may have another issue going on or maybe a dual fan laptop cooler would help.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

It could be that your cooling system needs some maintenance, i.e. some cleaning, cumulated dust is a great insulator. Also, you shouldn't need to control your fan speed. You're probably winding it up nice and high, in my view more evidence of an inefficient cooling system - the higher fan speeds are compensating for the reduced airflow/cooling.

As for the SSD, the Samsung brand is a four-letter word to me.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree with member "Checco". Using SMC Fan Control is only masking a problem that very likely has to do with improper cooling especially with older MacBooks and MacBook Pro machines. Not only does it add to the noise factor, it will also increase wear and tear on your fan(s).
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Again what are the actual temperatures you feel are so hot? iStatPro etc will give you these and as suggested ditch SMCFanControl.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
mrflash23

mrflash23 is on a distinguished road

thanks guys for all the answers,

i checked the stats and according to that its the CPU, and the GPU diode is the main thing that heats up, i think ultimately this laptop is just really old, or a faulty one, i have been trying to ride it out till the day it dies lol, i do not wanna switch to the new ones yet cause i like the 17inch, i dont wanna go back to 15 inch again,

so it looks like i will have to get a cooling pad then to help instead of SMC, otherwise my laptop will shut off every time i do intensive projects

and from the looks of it an SSD will not cool my laptop

Last edited by mrflash23; 05-18-2014 at 03:22 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

Why not try and blast the vents out with one of those high-pressure spray cans? All it can do is improve the situation...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Air/Pro screen size - coding, external display | Vidx, first issue i've ever had on my mac »