New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Would you have bought this Macbook pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cnoufesd

cnoufesd is on a distinguished road

I bought a 15" Macbook Pro off eBay, hoping to find one to use while I'm in college for the next four years. I somehow didn't notice that I was buying a 2008, and now I'm a little concerned since it's so old. The computer is running Mavericks, and it comes with iLife, Office 11, CS6, and FinalCut Pro X.

Should I be concerned with how old it is? It costed $750, and returns are possible.

Processor Speed:
2.4 Ghz
Product Family:
MacBook Pro
Memory:
8 GB
Screen Size:
15.4"
Hard Drive Capacity:
1 TB
Release Year:
Type:
Laptop/Notebook
Processor Type:
Intel Core 2 Duo

I could get a 2011 MacBook Pro for about the same price...Not with as big of a HD or as much RAM though. Unsure what to do.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnoufesd View Post
Should I be concerned with how old it is? It costed $750, and returns are possible.

I could get a 2011 MacBook Pro for about the same price...Not with as big of a HD or as much RAM though. Unsure what to do.
The specs on that computer really aren't terrible (8gig ram, 1 terabyte HD...even the 2.4ghz core 2 duo will get most things done). The weakest area would be it's graphics hardware.

If it had cost you around $500...I'd say keep it (although it may not be very snappy in 3-4 years).

If you can return it...and get a 2011 MBP for the same price...I would say that is the better thing to do. But...if you're getting this 2011 MBP from the same place (if it's an online store)...it's probably over-priced as well.

Post the specs of this 2011 MBP...and let's see if it is worth approx. $750.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

A 2008 MacBook Pro is not worth $750 and all the included software is not legal unless the seller included the original disks and serial numbers. Return it and buy a refurbished MacBook Pro from Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with chscag regarding the software. Those are most likely illegal copies (unless the previous owner gave you all serial numbers, product keys, registration numbers, etc.). Which VERY FEW sellers do that when they include software with a used computer.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
cnoufesd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Post the specs of this 2011 MBP...and let's see if it is worth approx. $750.

- Nick
Processor Speed:
2.40 GHz
Product Family:
MacBook Pro
Operating System:
Apple MacOS X 10.7
Screen Size:
15.4"
Release Year:
Memory:
4 GB
Processor Family:
Core i7
Hard Drive Capacity:
750 GB
Processor Configuration:
Quad Core
Processor Type:
Intel
Primary Drive:
Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
UPC:
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Processor Speed:
2.40 GHz
Product Family:
MacBook Pro
Operating System:
Apple MacOS X 10.7
Screen Size:
15.4"
Release Year:
Memory:
4 GB
Processor Family:
Core i7
Hard Drive Capacity:
750 GB
Processor Configuration:
Quad Core
Processor Type:
Intel
Primary Drive:
Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
UPC:
Come on...this is a "no-brainer". Other than not having 8gig of ram this 2011 MBP is a way way way better computer than the 2008. That 2008 MBP is over priced!

If you can get this 2011 15" MBP for $750...don't walk....RUN RUN RUN to get it!!! $750 is a terrific deal. All you need to do to it is a ram upgrade to 8gig...and you are set! This 2011 MBP is worth way more than $750.

If this is a Craig's List deal...and you don't buy it right away...someone else is definitely going to buy it.

On the other hand...this deal does "smell" like it's too good to be true...and could be a scammer.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

While checking Mac2Sell for the worth, They did not list a 2.4 Ghz i7 in the MBP line. Are you sure on that cpu speed?

I put in 2.3 Ghz with your other specs and it said $850.

So I agree with Nick, great deal. You can add more RAM later.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
While checking Mac2Sell for the worth, They did not list a 2.4 Ghz i7 in the MBP line. Are you sure on that cpu speed?
I just checked...it does list a 2.4ghz quad-core i7. Mac2Sell says it's worth $1350. Much more than the asking price of $750...which leads me to believe this very well could be a CL scam (if we're talking CL).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

See he did not say it was a quad core I7 so I checked plain i7.

If it's truly a Quad Core i7 for that price I also would wonder if it*was a scam.
QUOTE Thanks
cnoufesd

On eBay. The 750 GB MBP comes from a reseller with 99.6% positive feedback for hundreds of transactions.

MacBook Pro 15 inch Late 2011 2 4 GHz Intel i7 750GB HDD 16GB DDR3 6770M | eBay

Eyeing that one too.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
On eBay. The 750 GB MBP comes from a reseller with 99.6% positive feedback for hundreds of transactions.

MacBook Pro 15 inch Late 2011 2 4 GHz Intel i7 750GB HDD 16GB DDR3 6770M | eBay
You can't say that the 2008 MBP and the 2011 MBP are the same price ($750). That e-Bay auction for the 2011 is no way going to end at $750 (9+ hours left in the auction).

There's no way you can compare these two computers based on price. The 2008 is over-priced at $750. And the 2011 MBP (eBay auction)...isn't over. It's worth close to $1350...so there is no way it's going to end anywhere near $750 (especially on eBay).

In your first post you said you could get this 2011 MBP for $750. No way man!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

The person took a HORRIBLE picture. Zoomed its so blurry you can not make out the screen enough to read about this Mac. It would say exactly what CPU is in it. If that is truly a Quad Core i7, GRAB it unless it's a fraud.
QUOTE Thanks
cnoufesd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

In your first post you said you could get this 2011 MBP for $750. No way man!

- Nick

This is a different one! That auction that I was talking about earlier ended at $765

Of course the one won't end at $710 or whatever it was, but yeah, I kind of know what to look for now.

Thank you for all of your help!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Nick is correct, if Quad core that machine at the end of the bidding might hit $1000 or more.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

How long since you purchased the 2008 model? If recently lodge a dispoute saying it was not as advertised as you now realise all the software is pirated as you did not receive nay DVDs nor activation codes with the computer. Try and get your money back.

Be aware all these 'add ons' sold on eBay can be pirated software unless it states the original discs come with the machine.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Convert iMac into display for MBP, with option to switch back instantly | Cant highlight photos in Iphoto to remove red eye? »