New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Cheapest option for a 15" MBP with 16 GB of RAM.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GhostlyGhost

GhostlyGhost is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I'm trying to weigh my options for a 15" MBP with 16 GB of RAM and the smallest SSD possible (to try to save some money). The reason is I'll be running multiple but small virtual machines. Given that MBP after 2012 do not have user-upgradeable RAM (AFAIU), I believe my option currently are:

1. A refurbished June 2012 w/ 8 GB of RAM and a 256 GB SSD ($1600) with a 3rd-party 16GB RAM upgrade upgrade ($200) for a total of $1800.
2. A refurbished October 2013 w/ 16 GB RAM and a 512 GB SSD for $2119.
3. A new model with 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB SSD ($1999) with a factory upgrade to 16 GB of RAM ($200) for a total of $2199.

Is that assessment of my options correct? Have I overlooked any other avenue? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostlyGhost View Post
Is that assessment of my options correct? Have I overlooked any other avenue?
Yes...you could purchase a used computer...and save yourself a bundle. Early and Late 2011 MBP's can be upgraded to 16gig of ram. And you could install your own SSD.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

If you go for the lowest configuration 15in Non-retina MBP for $1449 (before tax) you can upgrade to M500 480Gb SSD and 16Gb Crucial RAM from Amazon for $370 USD.

I installed this upgrade in my MBP a few months ago and works great. Total is $1820 + tax

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
GhostlyGhost

GhostlyGhost is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the answers guys! Much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Should I give up hope that my MBP can be fixed? | What's faster: a MBP with a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7? »