New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Repair of Mac book

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stjarna

Stjarna is on a distinguished road

Good morning. I need help with a big decision I have to make. I took my MacBook 13" in for repair for a gray screen that fades in and out. I just got a quote for a new screen of USD 500.00. Then they also said that my MLB has a affected hardware, no video indication to an external monitor , that will cost another US D 537.00 , Total of US 1037.00. My MacBook is 5 years old, I have just replaced the battery for A fortune as well when it burst open. I bought A IPad retina a couple of months ago, I was told that my old Snow-leopard wouldn't work with the IPad so it had to be upgraded to Maverick which they did. Ever since then my Mac has been giving me trouble , it's slow and sluggish and now the screen is almost gone. My question is this, is it worth fixing ? How much better are the new MacBooks , can I download everything I have on my current Mac on to a new one or will it also be overloaded, Is it worth the repair, Can I use the IPad if I go back to the Snow-leopard version ? Do I need this MLB and what is it for ? They have given me 6 days and then the quote is off. Please can someone help me with this decision. I am quite useless at this and my pockets are quite empty as well, by the way, can I just collect the old Mac and store it for better times and then download what I have on it on to something else or will it all just die with the computer. By the way, I am in Malaysia now so don,t really trust the young school kids that seem to be working the computer shops here, but there seems to be only one actual Apple business centre who repairs Macs here so I can't take it for a second opinion. Many Thanks Krisin.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjarna View Post
Good morning. I need help with a big decision I have to make. I took my MacBook 13" in for repair for a gray screen that fades in and out. I just got a quote for a new screen of USD 500.00. Then they also said that my MLB has a affected hardware, no video indication to an external monitor , that will cost another US D 537.00 , Total of US 1037.00. My MacBook is 5 years old, I have just replaced the battery for A fortune as well when it burst open. I bought A IPad retina a couple of months ago, I was told that my old Snow-leopard wouldn't work with the IPad so it had to be upgraded to Maverick which they did. Ever since then my Mac has been giving me trouble , it's slow and sluggish and now the screen is almost gone. My question is this, is it worth fixing ?
No...absolutely not. For the USD $1037 in repair costs...you would be MUCH better off investing that money into a newer model Mac.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

???

Why would you even consider putting over $1,000 into repairing "any" 5 year old computer - even if it does have an apple on it. A brand new 13" MacBook Pro that will blow the one you have out of the water is $1,200 or the new 13" MacBook Air for $1,000.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I agree with Nick. I realize that a new Mac is more expensive in Malaysia than it is here in the US, but paying over $1000 for repairs is just throwing good money away. Save your money until you can buy a new Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Stjarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I agree with Nick. I realize that a new Mac is more expensive in Malaysia than it is here in the US, but paying over $1000 for repairs is just throwing good money away. Save your money until you can buy a new Mac.
Many thanks for the reply, I feel better knowing that I am not that stupid after all, I really thought this quote was a bit too much for the repair , but wasn't so sure , but as I said, they are a young crowd that run the office here and I have always felt not properly trained.
Thanks Kristin.
QUOTE Thanks
Stjarna

Many thanks to all of you with your quick reply ! I will take your advice , but how long can I keep my stuff on the old computer till I can buy a new one and download on to it ?
Thanks Kristin
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Many thanks for the reply, I feel better knowing that I am not that stupid after all, I really thought this quote was a bit too much for the repair , but wasn't so sure , but as I said, they are a young crowd that run the office here and I have always felt not properly trained.
Thanks Kristin.
Maybe the quote was high...and maybe it wasn't. Macintosh parts & repairs are expensive. Especially in countries where new or used Mac parts are not commonly available...and Mac repair folks may not be easily found.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
...but how long can I keep my stuff on the old computer till I can buy a new one and download on to it ?
I'm not sure this statement says what you mean it to say. But if it is accurate...how about at least 5-10 years. Is that long enough until you get another Mac computer??

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Full internet connection, browsers wont load | What is the best malware virus protection for a Mac »