New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP Replacement vs Upgrade Advice


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
bonds1972

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2014
Posts: 13
bonds1972 is on a distinguished road

bonds1972 is offline
Hi experts,

I am currently using late 2011 13" MBP with the following specs:
Quadcore 2.8GHz
8GB RAM
750GB HDD 5400

I am considering to upgrade my machine to the 13" Retina Display MBP to stay current, but just can't justify it yet. My primary use of my mac is for personal RAW photo editing, which the retina display will definitely boost the experience, but just cannot be sure whether it is worth it. Occasionally use it for iWork, but most of the time just a simple mail and web surfing.

As an alternatives, I am thinking of upgrading the current machine with 16GB RAM and probably a 1TB hybrid Seagate SSHD (Seagate 500GB SSHD Thin Hybrid Drive Review - Legit ReviewsThe SSHD Goes On A Diet). I believe my CPU power should be able to live for an additional 1-2 years.

There are no major issues with my current mac, except that is is a bit sluggish, but we concluded (in a separate thread) that it is most likely a harddrive problem, which I am going to replace with my alternative option anyway.

So, any thoughts?


Tx, bonds1972
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,932
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Although your hard drive is certainly part of your problem, I suspect that the bigger problem is the integrated graphics processor that is used in the 13" MBP. They are weak performers that share memory with the system. Getting a new, 13" model will not resolve this bottleneck.

EDIT: actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure that a more powerful GPU is all that helpful for photo editing. But what you have now is still taking away from the available RAM, so at the least you should consider upping that to 12 or 16 GB.
QUOTE Thanks
bonds1972

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2014
Posts: 13
bonds1972 is on a distinguished road

bonds1972 is offline
Thanks life..

so what you're saying is that upgrading is a better option than replacing?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,615
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonds1972 View Post
Thanks life..

so what you're saying is that upgrading is a better option than replacing?
Upgrading is usually a better (and cheaper) option.

Normally we find ourselves in one of three situations:

1) My gizmo already does everything I need at an acceptable speed. In this case, obviously we buy a new one . . . although wisest is just to wait

2) My gizmo does what I need, but is getting slow. Often can be fixed with a little maintenance and some upgrades

3) My gizmo won't do XYZ that I want/need to do. Here is where replacement is usually the best option

FWIW my opinion

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,932
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonds1972 View Post
Thanks life..

so what you're saying is that upgrading is a better option than replacing?
I think you'd benefit now from upgrading your drive and doubling your RAM. A newer one should perform somewhat better, but these two upgrades should serve you pretty well. I don't know to what extent your issues may be related to your actual OS installation and what may be running in the background... some basic maintenance with Onyx and re-assessment of any 3rd party software you have installed may be in order also. Bear in mind that a 2011 MacBook Pro was state of the art in 2011 and will perform just as well today as it did then, so long as the bottlenecks to your performance are properly identified and managed. If you buy a new one and under-spec it for your needs or have software-related issues, then you won't be much better off.
QUOTE Thanks
bonds1972

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2014
Posts: 13
bonds1972 is on a distinguished road

bonds1972 is offline
thanks raving & life, that really helps.. I think our thoughts are similar..
I'll live with what I have now and be better off upgrading the hardware..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« MB Late 2009 A1342 screws...HELP ME | Projecting images »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Who's up for a challenge to resurrect a MBP? reese2147 Apple Notebooks 4 05-09-2014 10:30 PM
MBP 8,1 won't recognize Crucial M500 SSD dpb123 Apple Notebooks 28 04-15-2014 07:28 PM
Web Designer looking to upgrade to Macbook Pro 15" retina, need advice! Hedur218 Apple Notebooks 3 04-07-2014 12:55 PM
Advice on upgrade to intel mac penletters Apple Desktops 7 04-06-2014 08:10 PM
MBP will not boot with Superdrive installed Queensgate555 Apple Notebooks 6 03-25-2014 08:05 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?