New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

The ever popular 'USB Devices Disabled'

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

molecularx

molecularx is on a distinguished road

So, I've searched all over the internet, tried all kinds of things... Nothing is working.

I left my USB cord for my iPhone plugged in last night, woke up to the message that my USB was drawing too much power so it was turned off. So, I unplugged my cord and charged the laptop... Now when I try to plug it back in, nothing happens. I get this error message that says 'USB Devices Disabled. Unplug the device using too much power to re-enable USB devices.'

I obviously unplug it and try plugging something else in but it's still not working. I have tried to restart the computer, hold down command, option, r, p upon start up and it didn't help. I also tried sleep, restart, shut down, and that doesn't help either. I also updated to OS X Mavericks which didn't help either.

Is there anything else I could do that I haven't??
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 11.06.19 AM.png (24.4 KB, 30 views)
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

You may also want to try resetting the SMC on the Mac as well, since this is a power issue.

Link
QUOTE Thanks
molecularx

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23 View Post
You may also want to try resetting the SMC on the Mac as well, since this is a power issue.

Link
Unfortunately that didn't help either. So, I'll have to make an appointment to take it to an Apple store and see what they have to say.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Resetting the SMC usually fixes that problem. Try unplugging your Mac from all power and leave it overnight. Sometimes that will reset the USB ports. The USB ports on portable Macs (MacBook and MacBook Pro models) can not handle a large amount of current draw for any length of time once the warning is displayed on the screen. Protection kicks in and shuts the ports down. Chances are they shut down before any damage occurred but you should let Apple look at it anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
molecularx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Resetting the SMC usually fixes that problem. Try unplugging your Mac from all power and leave it overnight. Sometimes that will reset the USB ports. The USB ports on portable Macs (MacBook and MacBook Pro models) can not handle a large amount of current draw for any length of time once the warning is displayed on the screen. Protection kicks in and shuts the ports down. Chances are they shut down before any damage occurred but you should let Apple look at it anyway.
I'll give it a try, should I leave it on, or off while unplugged?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Leave it off. You don't want any current flowing thru the machine at all.
QUOTE Thanks
molecularx

Left it off all night... No luck

The apple store is pretty far so I'll let you know how that goes when I finally get out there
QUOTE Thanks
andybratton

andybratton is on a distinguished road

Any updates on this molecularx? This problem started for me today off of a device I've regularly used for months.
QUOTE Thanks
molecularx

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybratton View Post
Any updates on this molecularx? This problem started for me today off of a device I've regularly used for months.
Yes! I took it in, they ran some tests and it came back that the logic board had failed. Needed to be replaced, took about a week and cost me just under $300
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP Unusably Slow After SSD Install | Powerbook G4 Circa 2002 »