New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

'09 MacBook won't start

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sabusforms

sabusforms is on a distinguished road

My wife's 2009 Macbook pro suddenly won't engage. When you push the start button up , the apple logo appears then the little wheel start to spin, then it instantly shuts down. Tried safe boot start up - no good. Try re-installing OS disks, same result .Won't connect to disk, just switched off. OS disk is in drive & won't come out. Tried holding shift key on start up to eject disk, won't eject disk either.
Anyone got any ideas what problem is ? would welcome any suggestions to try. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Try an SMC reset Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
sabusforms

Tried resetting the SMC , no result. Tried holding various keys on start up , e.g., shift-option-command; Option-R.; cmmd-s , etc. Nothing seems to work. When I tried CMMD-R it started up with the 4 alternatives. One was to re-install new copy of OSX , but I wasn't sure if the re-instal would keep or delete all existing files, folders, apps, photo etc. Can anyone advise me whether if I proceed to re-instal NEW copy of OSX whether it will delete all old work or retain same. Appreciate any assistance, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Before you do ANYTHING else, the first question to ask is do you have a backup of what's on the drive?
QUOTE Thanks
sabusforms

Hi Chas_m, Most of it was backed up over 3 weeks ago but after that time she hasn't backed it up. That's why I am asking if I go ahead & instal new OSX from prompt which appeared when I started with OPTION-R, is it only re-installing an new OSX & retaining all files ,etc. or will it do a complete re-instal & delete all past files, photos ,etc. ?? It does tell you. Any idea ?? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It must be at least Lion since Command+R brings up that install menu.

I am pretty sure it will not erase anything and just put in a new install of the version of OSX you have.

I normally do not use Command+R so hope someone else chimes in just in case.
QUOTE Thanks
sabusforms

Thanks for the reply Dennis. End up taking it to the Apple store here in Adelaide. The very knowledgeable Genius Bar Tech diagnosed the laptop & stated the battery was running at less than 80 % & anything under 80 % can create similar problems. He stated that if you don't use it as a portable & keep it plugged to power , it won't be a problem, but if you use it as a remote portable away from its power source, the battery needs replacing. As my wife only uses it as a desktop , we decided to not replace the battery & should we take it away on holidays or interstate , we will take the power cord along. Also , as trying to start it on battery only upset the hard-drive & it was necessary to re-instal a new copy of OSX. For your info, in doing so , all past 3 week's work, files, iPhotos & apps were lost. Wifey not happy but only lost last 3 weeks entries, work,etc.,, but happy to have it working again. Luckily, she backed up 3 weeks ago & saved the majority on external hard-drive.
Many thanks to you & others for your input...Sabusforms.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't Stream Video With New MacBook Air | mid 2010 i5 2.53 Nvidia 330m advice »