New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Make a printable list of folders and their files all at once

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Naropamind

Naropamind is on a distinguished road

cataloguing my folders and files
I am looking for a (free) way to make a printable list of files from many folders. Hopefully W/O having to go in to each folder and also record the folder they are in.
So I can make a tracklist of my Large audio, word and pdf collection.
osx 10.7.5 MacBook

Thanks Paul

Last edited by Naropamind; 04-03-2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Make it better
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

How comfortable are you with Terminal?
Tree : osx - Mac OS X equivalent of the Ubuntu "tree" command - Super User

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naropamind View Post
I am looking for a (free) way to make a printable list of files from many folders. Hopefully W/O having to go in to each folder and also record the folder they are in.
So I can make a tracklist of my Large audio, word and pdf collection.
osx 10.7.5 MacBook

Easily accomplished using Automator, one of OS X's little gems that is often overlooked. Here's a post from elsewhere detailing the steps:
MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - How to print a list of files in a folder

You can also spend a buck for an app that will do it for you:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/18226/foldertolist
QUOTE Thanks
Naropamind

Naropamind is on a distinguished road

Thanks but Automator gave me a quicktime file with only a title. The foldertodo list is good but it doesn't list the folder name and it only handles one folder at a time. I have many many files. That may be the best I can do. the other instructions for terminal were confusing for me and did not work.

Thanks for the info and time.

Paul
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Thanks but Automator gave me a quicktime file with only a title.
Huh? You should be getting a text file with a listing of the names of all the files in the folder you ran that action on, if you set this up correctly. Unless you mean you got just such a text file, but wanted something more than just the file names. If the latter, then you should probably elaborate more on what exactly you want.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
I am looking for a (free) way to make a printable list of files from many folders.
You use a terminal command to list every file and folder on your hard drive, but it might run to many tens of thousands of files, and a couple hundred pages printed.

Instead you may just want to use a free utility to view ranges of folders and their contents in a list, such as:

DiskInventory X (free)
Disk Inventory X

OmniDiskSweeper (free)
More Software - The Omni Group

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CPU frequency without battery | Music Converter Pro »