CPU frequency without battery
    Hi. I have a sh macbook pro A1211 (2.33GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, Radeon X1600). Recently it was swollen battery (the battery was not original, compatible no name battery). I live in a country where prices are very high for a new and original apple battery, apple battery here is how a minimum wage and yet I can not afford another, and I don't want to buy another cheap no name bad battery.
    From what I read on the internet, without battery, the processor would only run at 50% of capacity. I tried to find a program that would show me in real time, maximum frequency of the processor, but I had no luck. I tried iStat Pro, iStat menu, but the CPU frequency does not appear, only shows percentage.
    I have attached a picture of iStat pro, iStat menu, Coolbook. I would like to know if there is any way to see if the processor goes at full speed without battery or not. I do not know if it just me or my Mac goes much slower since has no battery.

I have Snow Leopard 10.6.8
    Last edited by gerbil; 04-02-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Running your MacBook Pro without a battery installed does throttle back the CPU. I'm not sure how much it's slowed but I do know that it can be significant. You might be able to get some kind of measurement by using a benchmark program and comparing your MBP to the standard.

2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Here's some older article's that relate to this issue. I think that all of them were written around Late this must have been something relatively new or maybe it was because this is about the time when the Unibody MacBook Pro's were being released:

MacBooks Run Slow Without Battery
    Run your MacBook without a battery and throttle the performance — Tech News and Analysis
    New MacBook Pro performance degrades with the battery removed | ZDNet

Unfortunately the Apple Support Document referred to/linked to in a couple of the articles is no longer active. But the articles do reference a little of what was said in the Apple Support Document.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

I made a test on geekbench,

And this is results of another user,

So my cpu is at 50%?
    Last edited by gerbil; 04-02-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Thread Information