New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Wifi issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

riverside1

riverside1 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2009 MacBook5,2 2.13 GHz. The signal is very weak and slow and i can't figure out why, here are all the things i've tried but have not worked at all.
Changed the DNS
Renewed DHCP lease
Changed the wifi channel
Switched with a different hard drive
Tried starbucks wifi
Replaced the Airport Card

Still haven't figured it out and I'm running out of ideas
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Try resetting your network configuration completely:

In Finder go to:
yourMacHD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Rename the preferences.plist to preferences.old

Restart your Mac

Attempt to reconnect to your network and try again

If that doesn't work then do the same thing but for the whole SystemConfiguration folder that the above plist is in.

You don't say if you've completed a clean install of OSX or tried a new user. Have you done either or both?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
riverside1

Tried both of those and they didn't work. reinstalled the OS x and it didn't help either
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverside1 View Post
I have a 2009 MacBook5,2 2.13 GHz. The signal is very weak and slow and i can't figure out why
How far is the computer from the router?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
riverside1

10-15 feet, every other macbook i've used works just fine from here
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

It has to be a hardware issue if all the things you've described have been done.

A broken or disconnected antenna cable, a cable grounding, connectors to the wireless card on the mainboard faulty etc.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
riverside1

sounds fun
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You stated in your first post that you replaced the airport card. That requires some work and getting inside the machine. I'm assuming the reason you replaced the airport card was because of the weak signal? Note that the antenna leads are located in the display case of your MacBook and attach to the airport card. Was the machine dropped or the display changed at one time?
QUOTE Thanks
riverside1

Yes i thought it might have been a problem with the airport card so i replaced it. I'm not the original owner so idk it could have been dropped. Would just buying a USB wireless adapter fix the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Ah, OK. That explains a lot. I suspect the original owner may done something to disturb the antenna leads or connectors. As for the USB connector, you can give it a try if you find one that's compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
As for the USB connector, you can give it a try if you find one that's compatible.
@ OP Even if it says Mac compatible make sure you know what the return policy of the vendor. I've had a few of these that were working under earlier OS versions but stopped working after an upgrade. Some haven't updated their drivers in quite a while.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Giving Me Contradicting Hardware Information | Problems with wifi on Macbook Pro Retina late 2013 »