New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How much memory can I install in a late 2008 2.4Ghz Macbook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drumvudu

drumvudu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2008 Macbook 2.4 Core 2 duo 8G Of Ram 240G OWC SSD

I'm currently running 4G of memory in my macbook and would like to go to 2 4gb sticks if possible. Will this work and how much speed improvement could I expect from the upgrade?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Unofficially, it can support up to 8 GB RAM. See link below for details:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ody-specs.html

As for how much of an improvement it will make, that is dependent on what OS version you are running and what exactly you are doing on your MacBook. It'd also help to know how much drive space you have that is used and free.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

@drumvudu: There are actually two setups that meet what you described. There's the:

- "Late 2008" 2.4ghz Unibody MacBook (made of metal/aluminum)
- "Late 2008" 2.4ghz white/black MacBook (made of polycarbonate/plastic)

As "lifeisabeach" mentioned...the "metal" version can be upgreaded to 8gig of ram. The "plastic" MacBook version can be upgraded to 6gig of ram (4gig + 2gig)

As far as speed. Adding ram doesn't not really speed up a computer (like having a faster cpu would). More ram allows a computer to operate more efficiently.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
drumvudu

drumvudu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2008 Macbook 2.4 Core 2 duo 8G Of Ram 240G OWC SSD

I'm using a metal 13" late 2008 macbook. It's got a 250G SATA drive with 190G free and I'm running the latest stable version of Mavericks. I mostly use it for writing, web browsing, multimedia, etc. No gaming or heavy graphics design. I guess the main thing I'm looking for is for apps to load a little faster and just overall snappier window behavior i.e. open; close; minimize;maximize.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumvudu View Post
I guess the main thing I'm looking for is for apps to load a little faster and just overall snappier window behavior i.e. open; close; minimize;maximize.
Apps loading faster has to do with two things:

- the speed of your storage (hard drive or SSD). The faster it is...the faster things can load.
- more ram can help...but...you really shouldn't have "50 gazillion" apps open at once. The more apps that are open simultaneously...the more ram that is used.

So when there is less ram available...operations will slow. So basically...if you are done with an app...close it. I generally don't like to have more than 4-5 apps open at the same time. But many times I have 2-3 (e-mail, browser, a game).

- Nick

p.s. Also...read the "beachballs" and "speedup" links in my signature. Basically...you should reboot your computer every so open (this can help a lot in some cases). I have a MacBook Pro with 4gig of ram...and I reboot at least once/week...sometimes more.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumvudu View Post
I'm using a metal 13" late 2008 macbook. It's got a 250G SATA drive with 190G free and I'm running the latest stable version of Mavericks. I mostly use it for writing, web browsing, multimedia, etc. No gaming or heavy graphics design. I guess the main thing I'm looking for is for apps to load a little faster and just overall snappier window behavior i.e. open; close; minimize;maximize.
I would certainly consider swapping out the HDD for an SSD. That should have a more dramatic effect for the things you want to improve, as Nick indicated. More RAM won't hurt, but Mavericks is pretty efficient with using memory and 4 GB should be adequate for what you are doing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2013 MacBook Air - No HDMI Sound | Hijacked? Airport won't shut off- Hi traffic not mine »