New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP 8,1 won't recognize Crucial M500 SSD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dpb123

dpb123 is on a distinguished road

So I'm upgrading a Macbook Pro 8,1 with a Crucial M500 960GB. Hooked up the M500 with Apricorn externally and formatted the drive. Installed 10.8. MBP boots fine from M500, and the internal drive is visible. Then switched the drives, with the M500 internally in the main bay and the HDD external. When MBP is started, I get the gray folder with ?. Can't even see the external HDD or anything else, even holding option key. Just internet restore.

Checked Apple forums and texted Crucial tech support. Both said it was the HD cable. So I just went to the Apple store and they replaced it with a new cable. No difference. Same behavior. It must be the cable, but other people are using this SSD with MBP 8,1 and it works, so I am puzzled.

Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I'm using the 480GB M500 with no problems.

Given that you've replaced the HD cable and it still doesn't work I'd have the vendor replace your SSD and see if a new one works.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Have you reinstalled the original HD internally and tried to boot? Must admit, it sounded like a failed cable, they are touchy. Didn't the Apple Store test it after replacing the cable, as that was the reason for taking your MBP to them?

Steve Bell
Aylesbury, UK
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Does the Crucial SSD appear in Disk Utility when booted from the original hard drive? Maybe it needs formatting Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dpb123

Thanks for all the quick replies. This is a great forum.

The machine is running now on the external SSD which is working fine. The original HDD is in the main bay and I can see all files, so the new cable is working fine. Both appear in Disk Utility.

So I just rebooted from the internal HDD. Both disks show up in Disk Utility. Everything looks good this way.

Maybe it is an SSD failure and I should get it replaced, but it works fine externally. I still suspect the cable, perhaps that it cannot handle the SATA 3 properly. I don't know. But the SSD is working.
QUOTE Thanks
dpb123

I'm sorry. I left out a couple of details. The SSD is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and the Apple Store will not test with another manufacturer's hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Put the SSD in the MBP and the original HD in the external enclosure and boot from the original. See if you can see the SSD that way.

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
dpb123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
Put the SSD in the MBP and the original HD in the external enclosure and boot from the original. See if you can see the SSD that way.
The MBP will not boot. I'm holding the option key when booting and I see the option for internet recovery (no other drives).
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

How did you transfer your OS to the SSD also if you are seeing internet recovery it either can't read the recovery portion of the drive or it does not exist.
QUOTE Thanks
dpb123

I hooked up the SSD externally (usb) and partitioned it and installed 10.8 from an installer on the HDD. There doesn't appear to be any recovery portion of the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
dpb123

No, well I rebooted and there is a recovery portion on both the HDD and the SSD.
QUOTE Thanks
dpb123

This is booting from the HDD, of course. When booting from the SSD (internally) I see nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

I'm wondering if the size (960gb) has anything to do with it? Were hd sizes that big in early 2011?

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
dpb123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
I'm wondering if the size (960gb) has anything to do with it? Were hd sizes that big in early 2011?
Well, I was thinking that 960GB may need more power than the MBP 8,1 can give, and so maybe I'll have to try a smaller one. I've read of people getting the 960GB to work with 2011 and 2012 MBPs, but not specifically the 8,1. The SSDs were much smaller back then.
QUOTE Thanks
Old Rogue

Old Rogue is on a distinguished road

Did you partition the new SSD using GUID? You should, or it won't boot.

"A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook and wifi | Iphoto customization »