New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Air not charging

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kazuyo

kazuyo is on a distinguished road

Does anyone has an idea what I should be looking at except for a possible battery problem when MacBook Air doesn't seem to charge and doesn't start up while not connected to power? It has also started to shut down all of a sudden while on plug. It has just been upgraded to X.6 Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If this MacBook Air has just been updated to Mac OS 10.6...this must be a pretty old MacBook Air model. If this is the case...the battery may be pretty old.

First thing I would try is an SMC reset:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Also (just to verify)...if plugged in...will the computer operate normally?

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
kazuyo

Nick

Thank you for quick reply. I will try SMC reset. And it is not working normal even if it's plugged at the moment.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuyo View Post
Nick

Thank you for quick reply. I will try SMC reset. And it is not working normal even if it's plugged at the moment.
Ok...let us know if the SMC reset helps.

Also...has anything happened to this computer?...such as been dropped or liquid spilled on it?

And...have you always owned this computer...or did you purchase it recently...and the computer is "new to you"?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
kazuyo

I will do the reset later. I have inherited this machine from my family member. So no to that question.. But I am a Mac user for many years
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

Have you ruled out the magsafe charger? Mine is pretty old and I've noticed that the springs behind 2 or 3 of the copper pins have gone out and they often don't connect very well. The orange/green light is on, making you think it's charging, but it actually isn't connected.

After a quick jiggle or two it will connect.

I know that's an extremely simple solution and I'm sure you've tried it, just thought I'd throw it out there.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuyo View Post
I have inherited this machine from my family member.
Has this computer worked properly since you have had it...or are you basically trying to to "resurrect" it?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
kazuyo

Thanks it has been strange that the megasafe indicated green always although I knew that it wasn't full. But it appears fine otherwise.
QUOTE Thanks
kazuyo

Nick Again thanks. It seemed to have worked ok it didn't shut down twice but immediately after reseting it did go black once. Still the charger indicates green so I will give a go to charge it over night and see what happens in the morning and disconnect the charger. Fingers crossed.
QUOTE Thanks
kazuyo

The reset worked ok and now I can see the battery alert at the top right tells me 'battery immediate change' so will try arrange with nearby Apple store! Thank you for help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAM question (don't know what to do : did my research) | Worth replacing hardware or computer itself? »