New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

os 9 issue!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

desrosiers13

desrosiers13 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW

hi, i have an ibook 466 and its currently running panther 10.3.9. i want to install os 9 in another volume so i can boot to either os 9 or panther. i have installed os 9 before but once i do startup disk to os 9, i cant get back to panther. is there a way to have both at once?? im sure there is i just am not mac savy enough to do it. there are a few programs i want to run that need os9. any help, maybe even a walk through would be greatly appreciated!! thanks a bunch!!
-dave-
QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

do you just need to run Os 9 programs, or do you want to boot the computer into OS 9? Panther should have classic built in. Go to system preferences and click on
"Classic" Then click on "Start Classic" After classic loads, you will be able to run OS 9 programs in OS X. No need to switch back and fourth!

Report offensive posts
Don't forget to use the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

I'm fairly sure you'll have to partition your hard drive to support both of the Operating Systems. Use a program like iPartition to do it without erasing anything. Name the new partition something like "OS9" and use the install disk to install to that partition.

Then when ever you boot, hold down "Option" and the computer will look for an alternate boot file, and it should find Mac OS9's ROM image on that other partition.

Classic is great for just running the programs, but you're never *truly* in OS9.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
desrosiers13

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW

Quote:
Originally Posted by macEfan
do you just need to run Os 9 programs, or do you want to boot the computer into OS 9? Panther should have classic built in. Go to system preferences and click on
"Classic" Then click on "Start Classic" After classic loads, you will be able to run OS 9 programs in OS X. No need to switch back and fourth!
i tried your idea and it says...You do not have a version of Mac OS 9 installed that supports Classic. Install Mac OS 9.1 or later.
thats what i always get! tahts why im here now haha
QUOTE Thanks
desrosiers13

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
I'm fairly sure you'll have to partition your hard drive to support both of the Operating Systems. Use a program like iPartition to do it without erasing anything. Name the new partition something like "OS9" and use the install disk to install to that partition.

Then when ever you boot, hold down "Option" and the computer will look for an alternate boot file, and it should find Mac OS9's ROM image on that other partition.

Classic is great for just running the programs, but you're never *truly* in OS9.
ok, how big do i make the partition?? or will it do it automatically?
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of

You would have to use Disk Utility, found in Applications/Utilities.

QUOTE Thanks
desrosiers13

Quote:
You would have to use Disk Utility, found in Applications/Utilities.
ok, what size do i make the partition for os 9??
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

I would make it at least 4 GB, that would leave you around 3GB for storage "in" OS9. I don't know how large your hard drive is, so make sure you have at least 8GB for the OSX side of the install.

QUOTE Thanks
desrosiers13

Quote:
I would make it at least 4 GB, that would leave you around 3GB for storage "in" OS9. I don't know how large your hard drive is, so make sure you have at least 8GB for the OSX side of the install.
alrighty, thankyou very much!
QUOTE Thanks
radarbob

Quote:
I'm fairly sure you'll have to partition your hard drive to support both of the Operating Systems.
This is not required. I installed both on a single volume. To change OS's [in OS X] goto system preferences/startup disk and choose OS 9.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

Ah yes, good catch RadarBob.

Doing it this way, you'll still be able to simply hold "Option" at Boot to switch OSs.

QUOTE Thanks
desrosiers13

Quote:
Ah yes, good catch RadarBob.

Doing it this way, you'll still be able to simply hold "Option" at Boot to switch OSs.
thats a swell idea i will do it and let you all know the results! thankyou for all this advice! i have done it this way before but never knew about holding the "options" key to switch back. so i was stuck on os 9!
QUOTE Thanks
desrosiers13

THANKYOU EVERYONE for you help!! it worked great! :batman: < thats just awesome
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

No problem! Glad you got it up and running. :mac:

Man, that makes me wish badly that my Powerbook G4 could daul boot OS9 and OSX.

I hate that they took that away on the newer G4s. I'm going to buy an iBook G3 soon, just so I can boot both of them.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« line help??? | ibook sometimes charges and sometimes not »