New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Is my used 1.33 a good deal?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

airline1

Have bought an iBook 1.33 14.1" with airport extreme, combo drive. In as new condition and with a load of software inc photoshop 8, office 2004 all with discs.

Bit late to ask the question :black: but having paid 645 ($1000) have I got a reasonably good deal.

I have always been a PC user and I am considering switching to the mac pro, but wanted to get a feel for the apple system before blowing 1800.

It also comes with a few games inc Medal of Honour, will this work ok on this machine or does the ibook lag a bit when it comes to games.

Also, if I were to upgrade the ram to 1 gig, can I just buy any PC2100 DDR266 or does it have to be Apple specific?

Cheers
Dave
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by airline1
Also, if I were to upgrade the ram to 1 gig, can I just buy any PC2100 DDR266 or does it have to be Apple specific?
It doesn't need to be Apple specific.

I think that would have been a good deal even if it didn't come with legit versions of all that software.
QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

Sounds like you got a good deal for an ibook with a 14" screen and all those extra software progams! Congrats on switching to the mac!

Report offensive posts
Don't forget to use the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
apple_power

Location: London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Canada
apple_power is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.

Hi airline,

taht si nota bad deal taking into account softwrae. Other wise I would have adviced an apple 14" refrub of the latest version for 670 approx. Also as I guess you are from the Uk try crucial they are really grat and even have aguide to which ram you need. But make sure you get minium 512 as tiger nned s 512 to run ok. I find personal preferance. also the ram is a cinch to put in.

You could also try ebuyer they do cheap laptop memory.

As for games on my ibooks I run command and conquer generals but you really need the ram then as it slows down a lot.

What plays well is warcraft 3
age of mythology
halo
risk 2 using os9
rise of nations gold
tiger woods golf
and a few other games but definatly upgrade ram helps a lot when playing games.

Who dare's wins... :ninja:
QUOTE Thanks
DigitalN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple_power
Hi airline,

taht si nota bad deal taking into account softwrae. Other wise I would have adviced an apple 14" refrub of the latest version for 670 approx. Also as I guess you are from the Uk try crucial they are really grat and even have aguide to which ram you need. But make sure you get minium 512 as tiger nned s 512 to run ok. I find personal preferance. also the ram is a cinch to put in.

You could also try ebuyer they do cheap laptop memory.

As for games on my ibooks I run command and conquer generals but you really need the ram then as it slows down a lot.

What plays well is warcraft 3
age of mythology
halo
risk 2 using os9
rise of nations gold
tiger woods golf
and a few other games but definatly upgrade ram helps a lot when playing games.
hate to break it to ya, but Halo does not run well.
QUOTE Thanks
apple_power

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalN.
hate to break it to ya, but Halo does not run well.
Actually halo runs quite well if you have 1.5gb ram and also dont max out your settings. Try adjusting your settings.

QUOTE Thanks
airline1

Thanks for the replies.

Not knowing anything about Macs its good to hear I have paid a good price for it.
It has 512mb ram installed, but I am watching a 1gig of micron on ebay so may bid on that if it looks like its going to sell for a sensible price. I checked crucials site but they are asking 117.
Have also just bought off amazon the 'missing manual' for tiger, so hopefully that will get me started with the 'conversion'.

Im sure I will be back with the usual newbie questions, but promise to use the search function first !! :black:

Cheers
Dave
QUOTE Thanks
apple_power

Quote:
Originally Posted by airline1
Thanks for the replies.

Not knowing anything about Macs its good to hear I have paid a good price for it.
It has 512mb ram installed, but I am watching a 1gig of micron on ebay so may bid on that if it looks like its going to sell for a sensible price. I checked crucials site but they are asking 117.
Have also just bought off amazon the 'missing manual' for tiger, so hopefully that will get me started with the 'conversion'.

Im sure I will be back with the usual newbie questions, but promise to use the search function first !! :black:

Cheers
Dave

Dave,

You can get a 1gig stick from ebuyer for 90.16 plus delivery.

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalN.
but Halo does not run well.
I am going to have to agree. The iBook is kind of a turd when it comes to newer games.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Manual eject? | New powerbook »