New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook G4 and Apple Cinema display?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Hey people,

anyone know if I can use my iBook G4 with an external display....

I was interested in the apple cinema 20"..... just wanted to check compatibility....
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

iBook video output is analog, the input required for an Apple 20in is digital. You can buy a converter but its like $200+. I would just get a 20in Dell 2005FPW, since it has analog(VGA) input and its a lot cheaper.
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
iBook video output is analog, the input required for an Apple 20in is digital. You can buy a converter but its like $200+. I would just get a 20in Dell 2005FPW, since it has analog(VGA) input and its a lot cheaper.
Uh, doesn't the iBook ship with a Mini-VGA to VGA converter? Then all you'd need was a DVI to VGA adapter, which cost like, what, $20 if you buy the Monster version with gold plating?

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_tough_to_die
Uh, doesn't the iBook ship with a Mini-VGA to VGA converter? Then all you'd need was a DVI to VGA adapter, which cost like, what, $20 if you buy the Monster version with gold plating?

DVI-I to VGA is a lot different than VGA to DVI. VGA is an analog signal, in order to convert it to a digital signal you would need a conversion box like this http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1310 .

Those cheap little DVI to VGA adapters are completely different, they work on DVI-I ports which actually output both a digital and analog signal. The little adapter just lets you tap into the analog signal that is already coming out.
QUOTE Thanks

11213 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Ibook G4 12in 1gig RAM + 24in Imac 2.16 2.5 gig RAM Leopard

what would be the max resolution with the ibook??
QUOTE Thanks
DigitalN.

well it will display 1024x768 mirror unless you hack it. then you will get 1600x1200, but that is all I have tried.
QUOTE Thanks

How can you hack it? I have been holding out on purchasing a big flat screen since the highest resolution is only 1024x768. If there is a way to get a better resolution i would probably get a big screen.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

http://macparts.de/ibook/
QUOTE Thanks

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Changing Keys | New Powerbook Grinding Noise »