New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Problem with macbook pro after putting in new RAM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Emem

Emem is on a distinguished road

I just upgraded the RAM to 8GB DDR3 1600mhz (2 x 4GB) in my Macbook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010). Started it up and opened programs and it ran fine. I closed it and turned it over to put the rest of the screws back in and when I opened it back up the screen wouldn't turn back on. I force restarted it and it wouldn't start back up. I force restarted it again and it started up but I got a message saying it restarted because of a problem. I have the problem report that sends to apple about the problem. Can anyone tell me if this is a reoccurring issue or a one time problem?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It sounds like you received a kernel panic when you restarted your MacBook Pro. That's a good indication of a problem with either the memory modules you inserted or they are not seated correctly.

Your MacBook Pro uses these modules:

Maximum Memory 8.0 GB
Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

It appears you used incorrect memory modules in your machine. My advice is to return them, replace your old modules, and order the correct memory from either OWC or Crucial.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Thread moved to notebook section.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Emem

Emem is on a distinguished road

I've been using it for 4 hours now and it hasn't happened again.

This is the RAM I got: CT51264BF160B - 4GB, 204-pin SODIMM , DDR3 PC3-12800 from Crucial.com
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That's fine, but it's still the wrong memory that you purchased. Buying faster memory means nothing since it will slow down to match the system bus anyway. But, it's up to you whether or not you should return it for the correct modules.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emem View Post
I closed it and turned it over to put the rest of the screws back in and when I opened it back up the screen wouldn't turn back on.

Can anyone tell me if this is a reoccurring issue or a one time problem?
Sometimes with some Mac models if the computer isn't fully assembled...it will not operate properly. The computer has "sensors" of a sort that know if the computer is not completely assembled.

In your case...if all the screws were not installed in the cover on the bottom of the computer after installing the ram...when you flipped the computer over initially...the bottom cover may have "opened" a bit/momentarily...making the computer think it was not fully assembled.

Next time install all of the screws before trying to turn it on.

- Nick

p.s. Crucial is good sells good ram...and has a great return policy. If you continue to have probems with the new ram...return it for replacement.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« not resuming session after safe sleep | Early 2008 Macbook Pro, Numark Mixtrack Pro II & Serato DJ Intro Problems... »