New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Memory almost all gone: Solutions?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dan243

dan243 is on a distinguished road

I have a 12" PB G4 with 60gigs of memory which has all but run out. I know that i have 16.55 gigs of music and 4 gigs of photos but I dont know where the rest of my memory is being used up. Is there a way for me to search the hard drive and find WHERE my memory is getting tangled up? In addition to the iLife suite i also have M/S Office, Roxio Titanium and Toast, Adobe Photoshop, and Macromedia Shockwave and Dreamweaver. Could these apps be chewing up a lot of memory. I'm a little confused right now so any heply is much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan
QUOTE Thanks
pixelpeeper

first you say memory. Memory is refered to as ram. It isn't what you store, install things on. You must have 60 gig hard drive. I would imagine you have files created by these apps, projects saved etc, that are eating your space up. You can use finder to browse through various folders wherever things may be, and delete or back up to cd or dvd. I would recomend buying an external hard drive for the heavy storage. Also once you do figure out where and what is taking space, you'll know how to correct it. Say if you play in photoshop with layers, you'll eat up some space. Also your music, what kind of files are they? MP3? AAC? You can use ovolabs aachoo, to convert audio from mp3 to aac which will save some space on your music depending on the bit rate you select. Good if you only use itunes to play. Hope this helps shed some light, I am sure others may be able to explain better, good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help finding something. Please. | No Update on UK Apple Store »