New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Connecting TV as monitor to Macbook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikehende

mikehende is on a distinguished road

I am thinking of getting a Samsung TV which has VGA input to connect to a pc so I can use it as monitor, would this also work on the average macbook please?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Would need to know exactly which MacBook it is.

But start here (I know the title says HDMI but there's VGA based info in there too):
Adapter/Cables for connecting Mac to TV via HDMI

Then post back with any follow-ups

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

cool, that'll work, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Hi Mike.... - before buying your TV, you might want to tell us: 1) Type & Model of the Samsung TV, i.e. is this a HDTV & what VGA standard(s) are present; also are there HDMI inputs; and 2) Provide the information asked about your computer & OS being used.

There are numerous VGA standards beginning w/ 640 x 480 resolution in the late 1980s; the newer standards now match DVI & HDMI resolutions (check HERE) - my point is that depending on what resolution you are running on your computer, I'm assuming you would want the same or similar appearance on the TV - this is an important consideration. Also keep in mind that VGA will NOT transmit audio (vs. HDMI), so if you want to use the TV to show AV content, such as movies, you would need to setup audio separately if using VGA or its more recent iterations. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

Thanks for the info and advice Dave, I would only want to use the TV's screen to get a much larger view for my videos showing on my mac, the sound will go from the headphone out on the mac direct to my music system. I will advise on my intended purchase, get back here.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for help with decision on which mac I want/need, | Gaming performance a little less than expected? »